Location Of Crankshaft Sensor On 2002 Silverado 2500hd 8.1 Gas

I HAVE SILVERADO 2002 2500HD 8.1 GAS ENGINE. IT OCASSIONALY STALLS at low speed--engine dies. I first thought fuel pump issue but than thought crankshaft sensor. no check light comes on but dash battery gauge comes on and immediately engine dies. On this particular engine where is the crankshaft sensor located and is it a bear to get to? I welcome any other ideas!

I would for sure check the fuel pump.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to avoid changing that.

You need to rule it out or in at some point. With your batt light coming on, I'm thinking the problem is not crank sensor. Check all your wire, connections and relays for the pump along with pressure.

• 1 year later...

Im having the same problem as Rich. Mine dies after driving about 5 miles or so when engine is cold. It will restart after sitting 2-5 minutes. Then it will run all day without stalling. I put a carMD handheld on it and three codes came up. p0335, p1779, and p0700. My question is, The p0335 code is the crankshaft position sensor, The p0700 code is the transmission control system sensor, The p1779 code, nobody seems to know what code that is. Would any of these codes cause it to die like it does everyday?

It does not sound like the crank sensor.

My 2001 with 8.1 ,ally had a recall on crank sensor on Jan. 2008 you might check yours out. {Recall No#A 06083}

It sounds more like a problem I had.

Dealer called G.M. Techline They said to remove grounds {G100} {G105} and clean them.

I think 1 of them is under fuse box under the hood.

I think the other is by fuse box in cab.

It has been 3 years with no problems.

Mine had 3 or 4 codes in it

Hope this helps

I show it to be on the drivers side of engine, just behind the cylinder head. It is just in front of the transmission bell housing, in the engine block.

Yup. I've changed one. PAIN IN THE BUTT.

Archived