Use Of Second Gear In Snow

Gentlemen,

Great fun talking about the g-80 yesterday but I had a new experience just now going to the store in really rotten weather. It snowed here last night and the roads are icy and snowy.

Even with the trusty g 80 locked, the truck could not pull out after the light turned green. Just double wheel spin in drive.

I remembered something someone told me a long time ago and shifted the 4l60e into "2". Pulled away effortlessly. I guess the torque at the wheels builds too fast in drive. "2" really was amazing.

Ken

Doesn't the truck still use first gear? I was under the assumption that putting the truck in "2" allowed it to only shift as high as 2nd gear.

+1 thats what I thought, unless we are talking about a stick!

I seem to remember in my avalanche with the 4 speed that it would start out in 2nd with the selector on 2. But if you pull out hard it will down shift to 1st. But that is if my memory is correct.

LOL...I foresee alot of people trying this....LOL

I seem to remember in my avalanche with the 4 speed that it would start out in 2nd with the selector on 2. But if you pull out hard it will down shift to 1st. But that is if my memory is correct.

That's how it was explained to me. :thumbs:

No doubt! :smash:

Getting the camera. There's no snow, but that shouldnt matter.

My 2002 will pull out in 2nd(selector in 2nd) no matter how hard I mash the gas.

There is a traffic light by my work that I always get the red.It's on kind of a uphill slope.Anytime is snows I put it in 2nd gear and gently pull away

Works like a charm.(also read about this feature in my owner's manual.)

:thumbs:

In the 4L60E, when you place it in "2", you are stuck in 2nd gear.

The truck never uses 1st when starting out and will never upshift to 3rd.

Also, the OD never kicks in. It is just like driving a manual and starting out in 2nd; you stay in 2nd until you move the shifter again.

You can always tell you are in 2nd because the engine will really work and you can hear the extra load that is on it if you start out uphill or on dry pavement. Doing this always makes my exhaust sound even better and louder.

Yes it really does help in the snow. Even with my G80, I sometimes too use it in 2nd. I live in Wisconsin.

Archived