Battery Group Size

Hello. My battery is about to pass into history. The current battery is a "group 78". When I look up batteries for my truck on parts websites, it lists both a 75 and a 78. Do I stick with whats in there? Is there any popular upgrade? Thanks.

.. the Group 78 designation is for the size dimension (length, width & height) of the battery as well as the position of terminals for the battery... to make sure you get a battery that actually fits properly.

.. the Group 75 is likely the physically smaller battery that would still fit into the battery clamp.

.. for these trucks, I recommend getting the Group 78.... and then the highest Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) that you can find.... usually 800 or 900 CCA is available and is good ... some brands have a 1000 CCA model... don't confuse the rating with the other rating that is not the Cold Crank Amps.

Hello. My battery is about to pass into history. The current battery is a "group 78". When I look up batteries for my truck on parts websites, it lists both a 75 and a 78. Do I stick with whats in there? Is there any popular upgrade? Thanks.

I am a NAPA Jobber. Some trucks depending on options in the vehicle will have the group 75 battery. However, most of them get the group 78 battery. The more power things you have in the truck the heavier the battery should be. Trucks with no power windows or power locks, with manual a/c can possibly have the group 75 battery (work truck series). However add power windows and it will have the group 78........

With that said. I sell a Group a 75XDT800 it is a group 34-78 battery with both top and side post. It is pretty much the heaviest battery I have. They are 875cca and 1020ca and have a 120 minute reserve capacity. I sell them for 146 at my store.

The groups that will fit the 99-06 (07 classic) truck are 75, 78, 100, 34-78.

Jbo

so a 34-78 battery is more heavy duty than a 78? I am going to replace my battery in the spring, I want the biggest best that I can get. within price reason of course. I run a lot of things besides the trucks power features. Sat. radio, gps, trailer equipment, extra back up lights.

so a 34-78 battery is more heavy duty than a 78? I am going to replace my battery in the spring, I want the biggest best that I can get. within price reason of course. I run a lot of things besides the trucks power features. Sat. radio, gps, trailer equipment, extra back up lights.

Depends.... They make cheep versions and good ones.... The best thing I sell is the 75xdt800 its the top of the line highest CA, CCA, & RC. It is a group 34-78.... In the same statement their is a 34-78 that I refer to as the U.C.L.S. (Used Car Lot Special) battery that is like 45 bucks......

Jbo

I'm in a cold climate so batt's are pretty important if you want your truck to start. (it was -33F 3 weeks ago)

We've found the best deal in batteries is to go to a Cat dealership and get the biggest one that will fit in your tray (they have a parts manual that will figure it out for you)

They are decent priced and have a warranty the same or better then the competitors

haivng both side and top post is sweet, specially if you ever need to take or give a jump

Depends.... They make cheep versions and good ones.... The best thing I sell is the 75xdt800 its the top of the line highest CA, CCA, & RC. It is a group 34-78.... In the same statement their is a 34-78 that I refer to as the U.C.L.S. (Used Car Lot Special) battery that is like 45 bucks......

Jbo

Just looked that up on napas site, is that about the best battery napa offers? as far as cca, warrenty, and capacity?

Jbo

Just looked that up on napas site, is that about the best battery napa offers? as far as cca, warranty, and capacity?

The 75 month batteries all have higher CA/CCA/RC than the 84 month ones.... Exide and East Penn "Deka" both have their batteries set up like that, the higher AMP reduces the life of the batter somewhat... Unless it is an AGM. The 8434-78 is the 84 month with 2 year free replacement.

75XDT800

8434-78

My strongest seller in the battery warranty is the 75 month ones. It is also the one that I STRONGLY suggest, when selling batteries. Simply because the AMPs are higher and for the price difference it not worth the extra money for the 84mo over the 75mo....

Jbo

Ended up getting the Everstart Maxx from Walmart, lol. I had good luck with it in my last car so I figured I'd stick with that.

However, it seems the battery hold down clamp doesn't do a very good job of keeping the battery from sliding side to side. Not sure if it's a problem with the new battery's design or if the old one did it as well (didn't check before removing the old one). Any suggestions? The current setup is pretty lame. Is there a beefier setup I can get? Thanks.

Ended up getting the Everstart Maxx from Walmart, lol. I had good luck with it in my last car so I figured I'd stick with that.

However, it seems the battery hold down clamp doesn't do a very good job of keeping the battery from sliding side to side. Not sure if it's a problem with the new battery's design or if the old one did it as well (didn't check before removing the old one). Any suggestions? The current setup is pretty lame. Is there a beefier setup I can get? Thanks.

In 11 years mine has never moved side to side with any battery..... What group did you get.... 75, 78, 100, 34-78, 34-75????? The front of the battery should have 2 alignment spots for the clamp to bite the battery case... Do note you have to totally remove the clamp or the new one will not easily get in the right spot!!

Yes, a moving battery can cause problems. If the battery has movement in any way other than the suspension of the vehicle it will lead to a short life span of the battery. As the plates in the batter will bump each other causing them to loose holding capacity...... Also, I think the PCM is right beside the battery.... I'd hate to have it hit it and break the case of either one.....

Jbo

I bought a group 78, just like the old one. It seems the "lip" the clamp bites into on the bottom of the Everstart is less substantial than the Interstate it replaced. Yes, I removed the clamp when I swapped them. I will loosen it and attempt to "reseat" things.

• 6 months later...

I'm looking into getting one within next week or so... my battery is going on 5 years old and winters here are pretty harsh... Besides that, my stock battery i think is having a hard time keeping up with my amp / sub , 3 sets hid's , backuplights , compressor for train horn , line of fire under tailgate , compustar 2 way alarm , radar detector , PA.... :fingersx::D Maybe i should just upgrade to dual batteries and HD alternator too :D

Im probably going to get the 34/78 pc1500 (side terminals and top) .... I figure i can have the main power coming off the side terminal like stock and have my distribution block to all my acc coming off top terminal..

Any suggestions?

Archived