Adding Sub To Bose System?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found this pinout of the connectors on the back of the head unit while searching for more information. It seems to cover both the premium(non-lux) and the luxury(Y91) pinouts. I am not sure how accurate any of this information is though.

Michael- I'm in the same boat as you with the luxury(Y91) Bose system. It's my understanding that the premium(non-lux) Bose headunit sends a processed signal to the amp. The non-lux amp is set to amplify the signal it receives and does not process it. The luxury(Y91) Bose head unit sends low level signals to the amp. The lux amp processes the low level signal and sends the high level to the speakers. Pin 4 and 12 on Connector 4 should be a good place to tap for the sub low level signal. I figure it is the best place to get the signal before it hits the lux amp.

I'm open for commits and clarification if anyone knows better.

This is the output from the amp. It has pinouts for both systems. The Bose sub is a dual voice coil so that is why you see sub one and second sub below. This is in harness, under cup holder compartment, inside center console.

AMP output sub one

Dark blue/ white (+) pin 1 (UQS/UQA + Y91)or pin 7 (UQA-Y91)

light green/ black (-) pin 2 (UQS/UQA+Y91)or pin 8 (UQA-Y91)

Second sub

Light blue/black (+) pins 3 (UQS/UQA+Y91) or pin 2 (UQA-Y91)

Dark Green (-) pins 7 (UQS/UQA + Y91) or pin 6 (UQA-Y91)

16-Pin Connector C4:

Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function

1 -- -- Not Used

2 -- -- Not Used

3 D-BU 6760 Center Channel Low Level Audio Signal (UQS)

4 WH 6763 Subwoofer Low Level Audio Signal (UQS)

5 D-GN/WH 817 Vehicle Speed Signal (UVC)

6 PK 6972 Camera Signal #2 + (UVC)

7 L-BU 6973 Camera Signal #2 (UVC)

8 PU 5837 Amplifier Audio Prompt Signal (+) (UQS)

9 -- -- Not Used

10 -- -- Not Used

11 OG 6761 Center Channel Low Level Audio Signal (-) (UQS)

12 PK 6762 Subwoofer Low Level Audio (-) (UQS)

13 Bare 6759 Drain Wire (UQS)

14 -- -- Not Used

15 Bare 5838 Drain Wire (UQS)

16 GY 5836 Amplifier Audio Prompt Signal (-) (UQS)

Ray, Thanks for the info. Regarding Connector C4 Low level signals I noticed you only have UQS and UVC noted. I have UQA + Y91 (no UQS). Do you feel it would create any differences? Also is it your understanding that Pin 4 and 12 represent the separate mono feed for each voice coil or is it a stereo feed that is shared for both voice coils. Lastly is it possible one is used if you have UQS RPO and the other if you don't have UQS RPO (I noticed you had a (-)(UQS) on Pin 12 but on Pin 4 you only had (UQS). I am not used to seeing low level inputs with +/- I could understand left, right, stereo, mono and +/- makes perfect since after it has gone through the amp. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Thanks,

Michael

I have UQA as well without RSE. I believe UQA is the standard Bose speaker system and UQS is the upgraded system with a center channel that comes with the Denalis. As far as the low level sub signals go. A RCA jack has a + and a - with the outer part of the connector being the - and the center post being the +. I'm not sure why the + symbol is not listed on Pin 4. As far as there only being one low level output the amp takes the single channel from the headunit and dynamically creates the second channel needed for the DVC subwoofer. I'm no expert by any means but I have been researching this subject for a while now trying to find answers to my own questions. So don't take what I say as the absolute final answer :thumbs:

I found these to help clarify...

UQA Audio system feature, Bose premium 10-speaker system with sub-woofer

1 - Upgraded to (UQS) Bose advanced 10-speaker system with 5.1 surround sound when (U42) rear seat entertainment system is ordered.

UQS Audio system feature, Bose advanced 10-speaker system with 5.1 surround sound

1 - Included and only available with (U42) rear seat entertainment system.

I have UQA as well without RSE. I believe UQA is the standard Bose speaker system and UQS is the upgraded system with a center channel that comes with the Denalis. As far as the low level sub signals go. A RCA jack has a + and a - with the outer part of the connector being the - and the center post being the +. I'm not sure why the + symbol is not listed on Pin 4. As far as there only being one low level output the amp takes the single channel from the headunit and dynamically creates the second channel needed for the DVC subwoofer. I'm no expert by any means but I have been researching this subject for a while now trying to find answers to my own questions. So don't take what I say as the absolute final answer :thumbs:

I found these to help clarify...

UQA Audio system feature, Bose premium 10-speaker system with sub-woofer

1 - Upgraded to (UQS) Bose advanced 10-speaker system with 5.1 surround sound when (U42) rear seat entertainment system is ordered.

UQS Audio system feature, Bose advanced 10-speaker system with 5.1 surround sound

1 - Included and only available with (U42) rear seat entertainment system.

Ray, Thanks again for the clarification on the RCAs +/-. From my past experiences I have not had to deal with them being split since I have usually had pre-amp RCA outputs. Just plug and go.

I was doing some research on Sierra Denalis RPO codes and found that they don't list a UQS or UVC code for 2008 Sierra Denalis. Below are the only "U" codes I found (I made the options I have bold):

U2K XM Satellite Radio

U3U Audio system with navigation, AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD player and multimedia navigation

U42 Entertainment system, rear seat DVD player

UD7 Rear Parking Assist

UE1 OnStar, 1-year of Directions and Connections plan

UG1 Universal Home Remote

UJ6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System

UK3 Steering wheel controls, mounted audio and Driver Information Center controls

UK6 Audio system controls, rear

UQA Audio system feature, Bose premium speaker system

US9 Audio system, AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible 6-disc in-dash CD changer

UVA Audio system, AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD/DVD player

UVB Audio system with navigation, AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD/DVD player and DVD-based navigation

I am beginning to wonder if our Sierra Denalis have a hybrid of sorts of the UQS/UQA since we don't have 10 speaker systems (8 speaker or 7.1) and we have center channels without 5.1 surround since we don't have RPOs U42/UVB. Have you seen a UQS code in a Sierra or Silverado? I have for the SUVs but not yet in a truck.

I have gone through a 2008 electrical manual that confirms many of the details you noted above however there are some wiring inconsistencies in the manual and what you detailed related to my truck. If I just had premium bose (non-luxury) I would not have a center channel according to the manuals but I do have a center channel and sub. If I had premium luxury bose I would have a center channel and sub but it would run from the connectors you noted above confirmed by the manual as well. However, after looking at pics I took from when I changed out my Onstar module and several of the wire colors you mentioned in connector C4 I only had 3 or 4 pins used (picture not the best so I did not attach) #5 D-GRN/WH, #8 PU, #15 Bare Wire, #16 GY. I don't see any connectors in pin #1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 (I did not see RPO for UVC in 2008 RPO codes- no surprise 6 & 7 don't show - as I don't believe it was an option at that time.)

I am curious if you have looked at your C4 connector and found a different set of pins used. Do we have all the same "U" codes as my truck? Anyway let me know your thoughts as we will eventually nail this down.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael- You're right on target. Some of the Pins are not populated depending on your RPO codes. I'll open up my console later this afternoon and see what's going on back there. Any way I'll post some pics and see if we can find the best solution to accomplish this.

Michael- You're right on target. Some of the Pins are not populated depending on your RPO codes. I'll open up my console later this afternoon and see what's going on back there. Any way I'll post some pics and see if we can find the best solution to accomplish this.

noupf, I would highly recommend using a separate amplifier if adding a Stealthbox. The ohms on the bose subwoofer is 2ohms using dual voice coils. I don't think you will get enough power for something like the Stealthbox, which I believe is standard 4 ohms, from the bose amp. The change in ohms if you can't get a matching value in the subwoofers could also cause amp damage and at minimum reduced amp power. I could be wrong on this but I can't imagine the bose amp would properly handle the Stealthbox needed power requirements.

Ray, I have added my picture from the back of my radio with connectors. When you are able to access yours lets see what differences if any we have. I may have to get back into mine to see the back side wires on C4 if yours looks different.

Thanks,

Michael

post-64278-1270669628_thumb.jpg

Michael- The back of my headunit looks just like yours. My truck did not come with the Nav that plays DVDs so I bought one that did. Since it was RSE capable I had the dealer program it as if I had the RSE package. That way my pins are at least active. I need to get the pin sleeves that slide into the connector though. Someone said Radioshack has them.

Can you send me a copy of the electrical diagram you're referring to? It would be very useful to me.

I plan to do this install over the course of this weekend so I will document it well and share what I discover.

Michael- The back of my headunit looks just like yours. My truck did not come with the Nav that plays DVDs so I bought one that did. Since it was RSE capable I had the dealer program it as if I had the RSE package. That way my pins are at least active. I need to get the pin sleeves that slide into the connector though. Someone said Radioshack has them.

Can you send me a copy of the electrical diagram you're referring to? It would be very useful to me.

I plan to do this install over the course of this weekend so I will document it well and share what I discover.

Ray,

The file is about ~35MB so here is a link to the website I downloaded it from. The Electrical Manual for 07-09 have very little difference especially with the Radio type items I did not see any differences until 2010 model from a wiring stand point.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/body_builder_manuals.html You can then choose 2007 Light Duty (Since you have 07 SD) - C/K Full Size Trucks - General Instruction (Pickups...) - Electrical

Here is the direct link to the pdf also.... http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2007_BB...FS_Elec_D8a.pdf

If you want a newer year just pick different details. I hope this helps.

Are you planning to install the sub and wire up your DVD capabilities over the weekend? I am not sure on the pin sleeves at Radioshack. I will patiently wait to hear your outcomes on both as I have considered do a similar upgrade on DVD as well. If I get any updates on wiring I will let you know. My main goal is to find a great, easy to access line out (low or high power) for an aftermarket sub and amp to recieve a full signal that is not altered or lowered due to a processor in the HU or AMP. The only thing I want to alter the signal to the amp is the volume control. Next I will want to change out the blose speakers with aftermarket but don't plan an amp change at this point. If you have any details on any of these you could share I will be most appreciative. Thanks, Michael

Heres a few pics of my setup currently. Everything needs to be cleaned up but gives you a good idea. The box was covered in vinyl that I thought was close to my stock leather, ended up also having to use some silicon around the edge of the sub hole as it was pushing air under the vinyl and causing a vibration. I'm won't be leaving the switch there but it was a easy decent spot to use so I'm going to use it for now. I've saw some picts of a switch mounted in the dash panel just beside the steering column so I think I may mount one there. I also thought about mounting a switch in the center console just above the 12VDC plug. For the LOC I tied into the stock sub wiring and it seems to be working fine as I was only looking for some additional bass. Those of you wanting a lot more bass may want to try before the amp.

post-63186-1271037285_thumb.jpg

post-63186-1271037391_thumb.jpg

post-63186-1271038555_thumb.jpg

That's great Jay.

I did the initial hook up of my amp and subs this past weekend. In my 07 SD I was able to use the instructions of the thread I posted. I tapped into the 4 wire harness under the cup holder and connected my line level converter to it. My line level converter had two adjustment screws to manipulate the output level. I had to turn them all the way down to get the correct level signal to my amp. I haven't put everything back together yet as I'm still testing how the Bose system adjusts the bass level as I drive. My first few test runs indicate the bass level stays the same and is proportional to the volume level as expected. I think I'm good to go.

I tied into the same wiring but I did it just on the outlet of the amp before it goes to that connector. I tied mine up against the steel cover that goes over the stock amp to keep it out of the way.

Archived