Popular Mods For 08 Sierra

Good day all,

I own a 08 Sierra 4X4 crew cab with the 5.3 L V8. I know that the most comman inexpensive upgrades, when it comes to getting better fuel milage, are better sparkplugs and air intake. I would like to know what are the most proven brands.

I was also looking at getting a chip to help out with the fuel economy as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

stock plugs are superb man, and cai won't increase mileage by enough for you to notice...biggest bang for your buck is a tune, if your going to intake route steer clear of throttle body spacers or risk being hit in the head with a mallet from others on here, if you get a cai then get an exhaust upgrade too...these trucks are golden stock but if you feel the need to mod it then be smart about it...

stock plugs are superb man, and cai won't increase mileage by enough for you to notice...biggest bang for your buck is a tune, if your going to intake route steer clear of throttle body spacers or risk being hit in the head with a mallet from others on here, if you get a cai then get an exhaust upgrade too...these trucks are golden stock but if you feel the need to mod it then be smart about it...

Thanks!

If you are worried about fuel mileage, trade it in for a honda.

lol... That's funny! Hey man, I'm not worried at all... In fact... I'm happy with the fuel milage I get out of my truck when you compare it to other full sizes. My line of thinking is that if there are sensible upgrades to squeeze more miles out of a tank then why not?

• 4 weeks later...

Free mod: I cleaned my stock paper filter and next hour my mpg jumped .1, very little but it indicates something, next I will try the stock high capacity filter a1518c and see...try it!

The most popular is the tune! if warranty is not important to you..I may get this mode after warranty!.. in the mean time I will be going for a cat back and a better (safe!) air filter if I can find one.

• 1 month later...
try a tonneau cover. That should net .25-.5 mpg :thumbs:

:uhoh: putting it in neutral and pushing it while off nets 100% increase in mileage also...trucks and good mileage go together like silverware in a blender...i'll invest in a clydesdale and a harnass to pull my truck around before i ever get a civic

I just got a drop in K&N to replace the paper. I am not sure it will help much. But the autozone guy seemed to think it would.
A parts salesman told you a part they sell will help you out? I believe someone at autozone would sell you crap, if you would buy it. K&N is a good brand, but I dunno about those autozone guys for advice....lol. (hidden message in above paragraph)

Any CAI from K&N. Volant, AEM will do. A tune (chip or hand held), and if you can afford it a cat back system. This will really bring your truck to life. I'm not saying this will add 100 HP but you'll be able to feel the difference.

I'd skip the plugs unless there due, if so just stick with A/C Delco Uradium's (sp) and a set of Taylor wires.

HTH

the stock air intake will work just as well as a CAI, as long as the filter isen't full of crap.... with the goverment riding automakers like tourists at a tijuana donkey show to imrove mpgs and emissions woulden't you think GM would put them on standard if they imroved mpg? ...think about it, save the 300 bucks for a plastic tube and a filter made of bandage and take your old lady to dinner :lol:

• 2 months later...
If you are worried about fuel mileage, trade it in for a honda.

I know you're just being funny, but I just traded in my Ridgeline for my Sierra. The ridge only got me 17 MPG overall. Could only tow 5,000 lbs., so I had to make a change. I get 15 to 17 MPG with mhy Sierra and can tow 9,600.

Archived