New Rear Brakes Running Hot

I have a 2002 3/4 ton Crew Cab 2500HD pick up. The rear brakes were working fine but they were getting thin so I had the pads and rotors replaced. When I got the truck back, I drove it 20 miles and discovered the rear brakes were hot. The rims were also very hot. I took the truck back and the shop couldnt find anything wrong. Everything was rust free and lubed, yet the rear brakes ran hot after I got it back.

I had another shop take a look at the brakes. They replaced the parking brake pads and again, made sure everything was clean and lubed. When I got home, the drums and hubs were hot again and I could smell the hot brakes. The truck sat for the night and I drove it another 20 miles. This time, the drums were relatively cooler so I figured the new parts were just wearing in. Later, I drove home and once again, the rear drums were hot as were the rear rims.

Since the brake were working(but worn) before I had them serviced in the first place, is it possible a brake line might have been pinched or something? I noticed the bleeder bolts on the rear calipers appeared to not be touched(not bled) if that might be a clue. I have no idea what is going on here. My next move is to admit defeat and take the truck to a Chevy dealer. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Tom M.

Normally I would say the calipers were not sliding freely on the pins, but if two different shops have looked at them say they are OK, then they probably are. I think I'd have the shop that did the original work take another look. If the brakes aren't spongy, then they don't need to be bled and that would not normally be necessary when replacing pads and rotors.

Normally I would say the calipers were not sliding freely on the pins, but if two different shops have looked at them say they are OK, then they probably are. I think I'd have the shop that did the original work take another look. If the brakes aren't spongy, then they don't need to be bled and that would not normally be necessary when replacing pads and rotors.

Maybe the e-brake shoes are adjusted too tight?

Maybe the e-brake shoes are adjusted too tight?

Possibly as they are often incorrectly adjusted. I think it is more likely that the new pads are not releasing fully. Very common on this rear setup.

The location that the anti-rattle clips sit must be clean and free of rust / build up etc.(#2). When installed the pads must slide easily. When replacing the rear pads on my 03, i had to grind away the ears on the pads with a dremel to allow them to slide freely(#1). See the attached pic.

post-8458-1272307979_thumb.png

So you mean to grind the inside of the ear where is slides on the clip? When the truck was parked, the wheels turned freely, so the parking brake didnt seem to be the issue. Thanks for the illustration. I will pass it on to my shop...

TJ

Yes, the inside of the ear and the opening as well. To allow for required clearance to slide freely.

Archived