There are several E85 topics. Do a search at your leisure. In a nut shell you lose about 3mpg. I gained about .3 or a second in the 1/4 mile. With my mileage difference I need a 54 cent a gallon difference for E85 to cost effective.

.3 of a second in the 1/4??? Come on man, if this holds true then that would put my truck in the 13.99 (where i want it) E85 is not available near me and i know my truck runs so much better on it... (tried it when it was new, in Houston)... I have been dying to run it down the track with e85... but .3 in the 1/4 mile is a lot!!! I hope you are not pulling my leg here!

What vehicle did you run it in, down the track???

Thats all I run. $2.19 here. Check out the fuel milage forum section (I am moving this there). There are quite a few topics

Thats all I run. $2.19 here. Check out the fuel milage forum section (I am moving this there). There are quite a few topics

if we (lafayette, La) had the option of E85, that would be all i would run, i could careless about the price, it supports the american grain farmers... i buy american, i work american, i support AMERICAN!!

Plus the added benefit of how clean it is, and well the power enhancements kind of helps too!!

if we (lafayette, La) had the option of E85, that would be all i would run, i could careless about the price, it supports the american grain farmers... i buy american, i work american, i support AMERICAN!!

Plus the added benefit of how clean it is, and well the power enhancements kind of helps too!!

Honestly I can feel no difference between premium or E85. I know E85 should perform better but I cant tell in daily driving.

I need about 40 cents in my truck for it to work. It's roughly 80 cents different now :cool:

I don't notice * a lot * of performance difference. Anything I see, I attribute to ambient air conditions (temp, humidity, etc.)

I need about 40 cents in my truck for it to work. It's roughly 80 cents different now :cool:

I don't notice * a lot * of performance difference. Anything I see, I attribute to ambient air conditions (temp, humidity, etc.)

"a lot" can be defined by the eyes of the beholder

For those who dont know this....... lets look at the science behind it... Stoich is about 9.7 or so... cant remember exactly.. if its true e85..... it needs about 5lbs less of air, for the charge/mixture... because Oxygen is actually bonded to the alcohol molecule... in turn we use about 25-33%more fuel in the combustion chamber.... Octane rating using the r+m method puts it about 102-105 octane.... which in turn allows you to advance the timing some more... in turn giving you some more HP...

This is why in the PCM has "correction factors"(advance) for timing when it sees e85 being burned... (this is a really generic explination)

So yea the performance will become better, however you sacrifice mileage... but you help our farmers!

If you have a tuned vehicle and they zeroed the correction tables you really wont notice performance gains, however if your thing is stock.. you will notice a little.. im sure if you ran the 1/4 with pure gas in a ffv, and then drained the tank and ran E85.. the differance would be a little faster times.. HOW much, i have no idea... I will find out with my truck when i get some more E85 though...

This is why they get those top alcohol dragsters to run so damn fast.... and now you're wondering well what about Nitromethane dragsters/funny cars??? (top fuel) well Nitro's stoich is near 2.0:1... it has even more oxygen molecules bonded to the fuel molecule itself... Sorry for being a bit generic, but i am doing this all off the top of my head.. i must have paid attention in chemistry class, lol

and nick i do agree, "blue trucks rule" even though mine is silver ... Nothing better looking than a dark blue truck.. i had one from 98 until i bought this one.. only reason i didnt get one this time, is i could not find one with a 6.2l they were rare in 09 unless you bought a damn Denali... But now they are a lot more abundant...

and nick i do agree, "blue trucks rule" even though mine is silver ... Nothing better looking than a dark blue truck.. i had one from 98 until i bought this one.. only reason i didnt get one this time, is i could not find one with a 6.2l they were rare in 09 unless you bought a damn Denali... But now they are a lot more abundant...

:flag: I need to change my sig picture. We haven't had snow on the ground for a few months now! :willy:

I agree with what you're saying in your other post too. I'm actually a big E85 proponent. I grow up on a farm and still work in the ag industry. :cool:

:flag: I need to change my sig picture. We haven't had snow on the ground for a few months now! :willy:

I agree with what you're saying in your other post too. I'm actually a big E85 proponent. I grow up on a farm and still work in the ag industry. :cool:

well i work in the oilfield(we are taking a huge hit right now)... but i still support e85.....

E85 is all I run in the tank. It is $2.09 a gallon right now here in NW Indiana. No real seat of pants performance difference other than I do notice a throttle response gain and the truck runs a lot smoother.

"a lot" can be defined by the eyes of the beholder

For those who dont know this....... lets look at the science behind it... Stoich is about 9.7 or so... cant remember exactly.. if its true e85..... it needs about 5lbs less of air, for the charge/mixture... because Oxygen is actually bonded to the alcohol molecule... in turn we use about 25-33%more fuel in the combustion chamber.... Octane rating using the r+m method puts it about 102-105 octane.... which in turn allows you to advance the timing some more... in turn giving you some more HP...

This is why in the PCM has "correction factors"(advance) for timing when it sees e85 being burned... (this is a really generic explination)

So yea the performance will become better, however you sacrifice mileage... but you help our farmers!

If you have a tuned vehicle and they zeroed the correction tables you really wont notice performance gains, however if your thing is stock.. you will notice a little.. im sure if you ran the 1/4 with pure gas in a ffv, and then drained the tank and ran E85.. the differance would be a little faster times.. HOW much, i have no idea... I will find out with my truck when i get some more E85 though...

This is why they get those top alcohol dragsters to run so damn fast.... and now you're wondering well what about Nitromethane dragsters/funny cars??? (top fuel) well Nitro's stoich is near 2.0:1... it has even more oxygen molecules bonded to the fuel molecule itself... Sorry for being a bit generic, but i am doing this all off the top of my head.. i must have paid attention in chemistry class, lol

I have a tuned truck and just put 1/2 a tank of E85(other 1/2 had regular). It lagged a bit in the shifting I think with the E85. Didn t feel any more power. Thinking it shouldn t affect the tuned area of the TCM(Trans.).. Maybe the timming is less in the E85 stock table than the tuned gas table??? BTW I only had mine tuned for regular gas not preimum. Any other info on what happens when a tuned truck uses E85?

"only had mine tuned for regular gas not preimum"

If your not adding timing with e85 then you really wont get any gains in performance

He(tuner) might have zeroed the alcohol correction tables... A lot of tuners do that, i have done it as well....but i would ask the driver/owner first ...

Archived