2002 Sierra- New Rear Brakes Sticking

I just put new rotors and pads on the rear of my 2002 Sierra. Ever since the rear brakes seem to be dragging and when I get out I can smell them. It isn't the parking brake as I removed those shoes alltogether while I wait for them to come in at the parts store. I have noticed that they don't seem to stick right away, only after using the brakes a few times.

I did notice when I put the pads in the caliper, they were very hard to get into the guides. There were little stainless inserts in the guides, which seemed to make the pads really tight in there. Should these little inserts be removed for aftermarket pads? I think they are there so the pads are not noisy but I think they are making the pads jam and not slide easily.

OR could it be bad calipers or could it be the slider pins need to be greased?. What do you think?

I just put new rotors and pads on the rear of my 2002 Sierra. Ever since the rear brakes seem to be dragging and when I get out I can smell them. It isn't the parking brake as I removed those shoes alltogether while I wait for them to come in at the parts store. I have noticed that they don't seem to stick right away, only after using the brakes a few times.

I did notice when I put the pads in the caliper, they were very hard to get into the guides. There were little stainless inserts in the guides, which seemed to make the pads really tight in there. Should these little inserts be removed for aftermarket pads? I think they are there so the pads are not noisy but I think they are making the pads jam and not slide easily.

OR could it be bad calipers or could it be the slider pins need to be greased?. What do you think?

You put new rotors and pads on the rear of your truck but you didn't change any of the hardware or grease anything when you did it? I doubt the caliper is sticking unless you screwed it up when you compressed it to install the new pads. The pads should move freely in those slides holding them to the caliper bracket. You should have put a little high temp silicone grease in there and at least cleaned and greased the guide pins.

The rubber brake hoses can swell up inside and act as a one way check valve trapping the fluid under pressure inside the caliper. Always replace the brake hoses along with calipers.

Archived