6.2 And Premium Fuel

I have a co-worked that uses 87 octane in his 6.2 Denali and says it runs fine and doesn't ping or knock even while towing. I'm not sure what year his is, but my 2010 owners manual says to use premium, so that's what I have always done.

Anyone else use 87 octane in their 6.2?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 08 owners manual says to run 91 and i may see decreased performance and efficiency with 87 but that its safe to run it as long as there's no knocking...

So NO... i'll pay the extra $3/tank to run what my engine was designed to run most efficiently. It's a Denali... not a Vega....

Gentlemen,

The computer will dial back the timing for the lower octane. This reduces power and fuel mileage. I bet it does not actually cost more to run premium because of the gas mileage gain.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
switched to premium and now getting 15 to 17.8MPG

Hi guys....I'm new to the forum and just picked up a 2010 Silverado 1500 Crew Z-71 6.2/3.42 yesterday. The dealer filled it with 87 octane and coming home from the dealer - about 40 miles with a mix of 70-75 on the interstate and two lane back roads, I got 16.1 mpg. This is with 25 miles on the clock. With my 07 Titan that I traded in, even with an egg between my foot and the pedal, I couldn't of gotten this. Didn't get on it yet, but I can tell this 6.2 has plenty :rolleyes:

Been reading this forum for a while and just wanted to drop in and say hey.

Bob

Welcome Bob!

On the topic at hand you are fine as was mentioned above to my understanding. These engines as with the 6.2L that's in the Camaro, the computer will figure out what you're running and recalibrate accordingly. You will lose some HP but it will not harm the engine.

Archived