Aux Power Outlet Not Working

Hi all, could use your help!

2008 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4.

There are two auxillary power outlets in the front dash.

Over the weekend, I plugged in my 200W inverter into the left outlet to allow my sister to charge her cell phone with her standard 120V charger.

The inverter worked for 3 minutes and then quit. I figured the inverter went bad, so I moved it to the right-most outlet to check, and it still didn't work.

After a little checking, I found that I had blown the 20A fuse in the mini-fuse panel by the driver's door (fuse #16). I replaced the fuse but now only one of the two outlets works. The right-most outlet works, but the one on the left still does not work with the new fuse.

Any idea why the one on the left doesn't work? Is there another fuse I'm missing? Did I fry the outlet? I can't believe the 200W inverter would draw more power than the 12V aux power outlet is capable of...

Thanks!

-Steve

In the fuse panel inside the truck, there was AuxPwr and AuxPwr2. Both were 20Amps. I replaced AuxPwr because it was blown. AuxPwr2 was not blown.

I looked at the fuses under the hood too...didn't pull any out because none of the descriptions jumped out at me as being something related to the aux power outlets. Any idea which one I'd look for?

My 2004 Suburban may be different than your truck. Under the hood I have a fuse described as "AUX PWR" described as Auxilary Power Outlet-Console. The Instrument Panel fuse block has a fuse described as "AUX PWR 2" described as Rear Cargo Area Power Outlet.

I hope that helps.

My 2004 Suburban may be different than your truck. Under the hood I have a fuse described as "AUX PWR" described as Auxilary Power Outlet-Console. The Instrument Panel fuse block has a fuse described as "AUX PWR 2" described as Rear Cargo Area Power Outlet.

I hope that helps.

+1. And they're two different amperages.

One might be labeled as a cigarette lighter. If I remember right the two in the dash are on separate fuses and only one is labeled as "aux pwr"

That was how the trucks I have worked on in the past were hooked up.....one outlet was via the aux pwr and the other outlet and cig lighter are wired via the cig lighter fuse. Depending on your truck that fuse is usually in the truck in the instrument panel fuse block. Check your manual to make sure.

The two last posters were correct.

Tonight after work, I did a more thorough look at the two fuse panels.

The 12V outlet on the right side of the dash was the 20A "Aux Pwr" fuse in the instrument panel fuse block.

The 12V outlet on the left side of the dash was the 20A "LTR" fuse in the engine compartment fuse panel.

Thanks for the replies. Now...I'm off to replace the power inverter that is so aptly blowing these fuses...

-Steve

Archived