Too Much Oil

I have used Amsoil in my last 2 vehicles. Will never use anything else. I have even gotten bored and swapped all of my fluids with it. Of course...... engine oil..... then coolant, brake fluid, pwr steering, rear end, and next in line im going to drop my tranny and swap those fluids out.

Obxdiver and 4wd....... just curious to how long you two leave your oil in before changing?

I have used Amsoil in my last 2 vehicles. Will never use anything else. I have even gotten bored and swapped all of my fluids with it. Of course...... engine oil..... then coolant, brake fluid, pwr steering, rear end, and next in line im going to drop my tranny and swap those fluids out.

Obxdiver and 4wd....... just curious to how long you two leave your oil in before changing?

I go about 10,000 to 12,000. I replace the filter at 7-8000 and add 1 qt.

Done, drained alittle out. Now it is just above the fill line, will check again tomorrow.

Thanks

BTW Snake, I wasn't as worried as you made out that I was :fume: Just a question thats all.

Amsoil filter!?

Yeah its pretty good oil but...

Amsoil is a small company with only blending facilities, they don't have refineries to produce synthetic base stock oils.. Who do they buy these pao base stock oils from???

Their major supplier of PAO base stock is Exxon/Mobil, the largest producer of synthetic oils in the world. They purchase some Group III base stocks from Shell, Petro Canada, and others. About 90% of their additive packages come from Lubrizoil.

Edited by snakedoctor

This is why I change my own oil. I know my 5.3L gets a new filter, I know it gets new oil, I know what kind of oil went in, and I know everything was done properly; no guessing. At the same time I can notice anything else that might present problems later on down the road; seepage around seals, leaks, cracked, loose, missing, or broken parts etc. If you had been the one changing the oil, you would know if its supposed to be a half inch over the indicator on the dipstick or not. IF I were you, I would drain it all, and replace it with exactly 6 quarts of whatever your favorite flavor is, and after letting the engine idle for a few mins, shut it off, let the oil settle back into the pan for a few minutes, and then check your dipstick to see where the oil level is supposed to be.

I know a guy that once had "changed" his oil several times, then one day oil was just spewing everywhere. It turns out when he would change it he just took off the filter, put a new one on and added the 5 or so Litres of oil the car needed without draining the pan....Needless to say it was a bit messy. And this was in his race car btw..... Good driver, but not the most skilled mechanic....

• Like 1

I know a guy that once had "changed" his oil several times, then one day oil was just spewing everywhere. It turns out when he would change it he just took off the filter, put a new one on and added the 5 or so Litres of oil the car needed without draining the pan....Needless to say it was a bit messy. And this was in his race car btw..... Good driver, but not the most skilled mechanic....
Yeah well you need to be smart enough to use the drain plug, and remove the filter! :fume: Sucked to be that guy.

This was posted on another forum.

changing oil

today, me and a friend changed my oil, we jacked up the front end, took the plug out, drained 99% of the oil out. we put the plug back in, then took the old filter out, let it drain, then put the new filter on. everything is nice and snug, then we put 1 gallon (6 quarts) in it of the right type of castrol gtx. everything seemed to have worked out very well. so i start up the truck and drive to get food or something and then go home. the truck ran beautifully, but when i hopped in it later today to head off to a local place called the mud hole (to get my torsion bars cranked) my dash said "check oil level" so i did.. and for some reason, i cant seem to be able to check the oil properly because my dip stick is confusing a fxxx. the truck runs fine and everythings good, but i really hope if someone can tell me how to properly check a dip stick (LOL) and if this is a major problem that seems to be doing absolutely nothing to harm the truck.

thanks guys and sorry about the dumb questions.

2004 Yukon XL - 5.3, G80, 285/70.17 Maxxis Buckshot XMT Mudders, CAI, Flowmaster delta 40 dual out, stainless pipes and tips, Torsion Bars cranked to level, tow rope, lots of fun!

*Picture is without the new exhaust* Reply Reply With Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08-07-2010 12:47 AM #2 GM4ever98

View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Articles Add as Contact

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted---------------

then we put 1 gallon (6 quarts) in it

dude 1 gallon is not 6 quarts. its only 4...get yourself two more quarts and fill that thing. you probably can't read the dipstick because there is little to no oil on it in the first place.

Edited by snakedoctor
  • Like 1