Too Much Oil

This was posted on another forum.

changing oil

today, me and a friend changed my oil, we jacked up the front end, took the plug out, drained 99% of the oil out. we put the plug back in, then took the old filter out, let it drain, then put the new filter on. everything is nice and snug, then we put 1 gallon (6 quarts) in it of the right type of castrol gtx. everything seemed to have worked out very well. so i start up the truck and drive to get food or something and then go home. the truck ran beautifully, but when i hopped in it later today to head off to a local place called the mud hole (to get my torsion bars cranked) my dash said "check oil level" so i did.. and for some reason, i cant seem to be able to check the oil properly because my dip stick is confusing a fxxx. the truck runs fine and everythings good, but i really hope if someone can tell me how to properly check a dip stick (LOL) and if this is a major problem that seems to be doing absolutely nothing to harm the truck.

thanks guys and sorry about the dumb questions.

2004 Yukon XL - 5.3, G80, 285/70.17 Maxxis Buckshot XMT Mudders, CAI, Flowmaster delta 40 dual out, stainless pipes and tips, Torsion Bars cranked to level, tow rope, lots of fun!

*Picture is without the new exhaust* Reply Reply With Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08-07-2010 12:47 AM #2 GM4ever98

View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Articles Add as Contact

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted---------------

then we put 1 gallon (6 quarts) in it

dude 1 gallon is not 6 quarts. its only 4...get yourself two more quarts and fill that thing. you probably can't read the dipstick because there is little to no oil on it in the first place.

Cant fix stupid ! :dunno:

You can not fix stupid or idiot..... They will build a better model next year of the stupid or idiot..... Proven time and time again.

How many people have managed to stick a fork or other electrically conductive object into a power outlet?

Ever wonder how many people are out there that do not know how to measure? I riddle this question to unsuspecting people at times.

" If I wanted to purchase 4 quarts and had to buy it in a 5 gallon bucket. How much extra did I buy in order to get the 4 quarts I needed? "

<< DO NOT ASK YOUR WIFE THAT QUESTION >>

Jbo

• Like 1

Where in the owners manual does it tell you how much oil is needed in your engine? I looked all over this book for the info and all I get is the viscosity breakdown.... I am about to begin doing my oil changes myself and have been looking to find out how much oil is needed in my 4.8L. My alternative is to add and keep checking with the dipstick. Knowing how much to add would be a big help.

Your engine takes six (6) quarts. Its in the capacities and specifications sections not the oil section.

Thanks Guys. After I posted I went back to the manual and found it. It is amazing what you can find when you actually slow down and READ. Lol

Though to my credit GM makes this manual like it is a "Choose Your Own Ending" Book, jumping from the back to the front to the middle of the book.

• 3 years later...

I am currently having to replace my motor which is at only 143k miles . Walmart had overfilled my oil passed the max line. It was a total of 2 qtrs over max line. A few hundred miles past the oil change I noticed a mild ticking noise from motor . After further investigation I found a fresh oil leak . Not sure where it was coming from. When I pulled out the dipstick I had found the issue. Simply removed my oil plug bolt for a few seconds brought the oil to the max fill line. Went back to Walmart with the excess oil I had drained out. They had no record of doing the job. Told me there is nothing they could do at that point since I had "tampered" with it even if I could prove they did the service. This was at 138k. Something finally gave out in my motor. Sounds like a helicopter taking off now. Thank you walmart for destroying my motor and not owning up too it!!!

My Wife went to the local GMC dealer today and had the oil changed in her Denali. The dummy tech put too much oil in. Like 1/2 inch over the fill line on dipstick. Do I need to climb under and drain some, or let it go?

No problem, most of us "old hot-rodder's" overfill the oil by as much as 1/2 qt., I do this regularly on Sara (2001 Z28), had no adverse affects.

I have found that my local GM dealer does that fairly regularly. They did that on the first (free) oil change I had done on my truck. I was worried they might be doing it to make up for a possible oil consumption issue that the AFM motors seem to have. But they have done it to my wife's Cobalt as well. They are probably just putting in the capacity of oil for that vehicle where, in reality, you never get all the oil out when you drain it. And the oil change shops probably don't wait around to let it drip as long as an owner would.

However, anything more than a half quart over filled is just ridiculous. That is why so many people choose to do their own oil changes when it is nearly the same price as having it done. They do my wife's Cobalt for $22 with Mobil Dexos certified Dino oil.

Edited by esox07

• 5 years later...

I was working on my son's silverado brakes and he decided to change the oil. I told him now to remove the oil filter and I saw some oil drain out whiile I was at the rear. I made a comment that it wasn't much oil and must have been running really low. He then added 6 quarts back in and the next day his oil light came on and had 0 pressure. Turns out he didn't pull the drain plug, only changed the filter. I am trying to get him to drain some oil at work and hopefully that fixes it.