Too Much Oil

Mine is 08 5.3 but I confirmed the dipstick is wrong, the dealer checked with GM and the answer as long as you fill the right amount, don't worry about the dipstick, it reads about half inch or more above the max mark, I checked new trucks in dealership show room and the oil was reading the same as mine!..

I noticed in 2009 or 2010, not sure, the dipstick is relocated!!!

If you want to be sure, drain the oil completely and fill the right amount as per the book and see how it reads, only then you will know...But I agree that you need to talk to dealer to document it and may be they will have an answer for you..

If the dipstick is not right as mine you will have to keep oil! to get the right reading...

Also the service manager told me that oil pressure is regulated in these engines, meaning the pump will only feed the right amount to the the engine..

I hope that helps...

Edited by 4wd

Where in the owners manual does it tell you how much oil is needed in your engine? I looked all over this book for the info and all I get is the viscosity breakdown.... I am about to begin doing my oil changes myself and have been looking to find out how much oil is needed in my 4.8L. My alternative is to add and keep checking with the dipstick. Knowing how much to add would be a big help.

I would say it has the correct. amount of oil in it, 6 quarts. The manufacturing tolerances being what they are, there could be that much variation in dip-sticks. And the engines are designed with a safety factor. That little overfill will not hurt anything. The oil will not froth and have bubbles in it. All the vehicles that call for 4 & 1/2 or 5 & 1/5 quarts have been getting the extra 1/2 quart for years with out any issues.....

Have a good weekend and sleep well, who knows when something important will come along.. :fume:

Edited by snakedoctor

Where in the owners manual does it tell you how much oil is needed in your engine? I looked all over this book for the info and all I get is the viscosity breakdown.... I am about to begin doing my oil changes myself and have been looking to find out how much oil is needed in my 4.8L. My alternative is to add and keep checking with the dipstick. Knowing how much to add would be a big help.

Page 5-129 in the gmt900 owners manual. 6 quarts as previously stated.

Your engine takes six (6) quarts. Its in the capacities and specifications sections not the oil section.

4.8L and 5.3L have the same block and crank. Just different cylinder bore I believe.

Definitely gonna be messy trying to get a little to drip out the drain hole without to much running down my arm

And you don't know if the right amount of oil in in there. What if it is and you drain some out...then you will be low. All around the world last night people went to sleep. Some of them did not wake up this morning. What would they give to be in your position. You need to put things in prospective.. :fume: