2 chamber vs. 3 chamber

I am concidering either a 2 chamber, or a 3 chamber flowmaster 40 series muffler.  While i understand that the 3 chamber will be a bit quieter, will it effect the tone any?  I love the 40 series tone, i just dont want to have the urge to shoot myself while im driving the car becasue of resonation.

All wisdom about 2 chamber vs. 3 chamber greatly appreciated.

Ben

If its going in a SUV go with the 70 series. You will thank me for the rest of the time you own the truck. If in a pickup then either a 70 or 50 series will do fine. Some people just have to have a loud exhaust, if thats you then get a 40 series. Be aware that while sounding very aggresive and fast, it will drive you nuts going down the road. And its no faster that a 50 or 70 series, just louder.

This is very well and good, but my mind is set on the 40 series.  That being said, does the 2 chamber have a different tone than the 3 chamber, or is it just a little louder?  A friend of mine has a 2 chamber 40 series on his GTP and i love the sound.  I want to go with the 3 chamber, however, because it will be a wee bit quieter.  I dont want to regret it though, and i know i will if it has a different tone.

Long story short: Does the 2 chamber have a different tone than the 3 chamber?

Ben

Yes it does.  Its not just quieter, it sounds more like a gibson(icky) muffler.  I wouldn't modify my exhaust unless it was for performance or loudness.  I drive my truck all over, its been a year and a half, I'm not sick of the exhaust.  People expect their cabs to be perfectly silent, guess I don't.  40's don't get full potential until the upper to mid range rpm's anyways.  I do 2100 rpms on the eway and its a noise in the backround but doesn't interfere with my stereo(not stock).

Simple "in a nutshell" exhaust 101.

2 Chamber mufflers.  The incoming exhaust stream has to go through two sets of baffling I.E. chambers before exiting.

3 Chamber mufflers.  The incoming exhaust stream has to go through three sets of baffling I.E. chambers before exiting.

With this in mind.  The less baffling or chambering, the less sound absorbtion, therefore LOUDER.  Less baffling/chambering also allows greater airflow, therefore resulting in power increases.

The more baffling or chambering the quieter.  Stock mufflers in some cases have like 7 or 8 baffles/chambers.

So to sum it up, the less baffling/chambering, the louder and more power you're gonna get out of it.  Does the tone change, yep.  Anytime you alter the path by chambering it, the tone and volume will change.

Another thing to factor in as you said your friend's GTP sounded awesome with a two chamber.  His engine is completely different than yours.  Even stock, his will sound drastically different.

Why?  Number of cylinders, firing order, camshaft profiles, as well as he is running a supercharger.

So what may sound good on his won't sound the same on yours.  Although, I'd still go with the least restrictive (I.E. least amount of baffling) system available.  :cheers:

Archived