'97 K1500 A/c Clutch Replacement?

Just when I thought I had everything ready for winter I have a new noise and problem. The A/C clutch is making a loud grinding noise and it isn't engaging anymore.

I'm wondering how tough it is to replace just the clutch assembly, assuming that will fix the problem. The truck has 180K miles and the A/C was blowing semi-cold before the noise started.

I searched the forum but couldn't find and how-to for replacing just the clutch. Thanks!

You can replace just the clutch on that system but it takes a special tool to remove it and install the new one. They also have to be adjusted just right to engage and disengage properly. I'd replace the complete compressor assembly on one that old with miles on it. Those are great vehicles and you'd be a ton better off in the long run AC wise.

Listened to it closely and it sounds like it's the clutch bearing that's gone bad. Replacement bearings are $20 (parts store will borrow me the puller) so I'm going to replace that first and try a $40 recharge kit (with dye and sealer in the new r134).

It looks like I'd have to take it to a shop to have the compressor replaced and I don't have the $500 they're going to want for that job.

I'll reply tomorrow with the results.

I thought about that as well when mine crapped out. The problem according to my mechanic (whom I trust) is that the internals of the compressor break down as well and it is just better to replace the whole thing than fix it and continue to chase down AC leak issues. Needless to say, I have not replaced it yet and it's not needed until next year...

Well, I did replace the bearing only and that fixed the noise issue. Now I have to figure out how to get the correct spacing between the clutch and pulley. I've been told it needs to be set at .040, but not exactly where that is measured. For now the clutch doesn't engage, but I don't need the AC in the cold months of northern MN.

Archived