Body Mount Noise

Hello,

I have been having a "problem" with my 06 2wd crewcab for the past 4 months or so. When I first start in the morning or turn the wheels (flexing the frame) I get a popping/creaking noise. So I researched and checked all the tie rods, ball joints, and front hubs to the best of my ability. I didn't really know how to check inner tie rods. I was still not convinced that I could diagnose it sufficiently, so I took it to a mechanic friend of mine. They had the truck for a day and said nothing was wrong with my steering parts.

Next, I did the washers on the front crossmember as well. No noise reduction. I thought I had not tightened them enough, so I brought out the impact wrench. Still there.

While getting my coolant flushed yesterday at the dealer, I asked about the issue and he mentioned a service bulletin about body/cab mounts making noise or something like that. Does that sound like it could be a plausible cause to what I'm experiencing? If so, does anyone have a link to that TSB they could post for me?

Thanks

I believe this is the bulletin you are looking for. Good luck

Technical Bulletin - 2004-2009 - Underbody Pop or Clunk Type Noise While Turning

#06-08-61-003D: Underbody Pop or Clunk Type Noise While Turning or Driving on Uneven Road Surfaces (Install Body Mount Insulator) - (Sep 10, 2008)

Applies to

2004-2008 Chevrolet Avalanch, Suburban, Taho, Silverado (Classic), Silverado.

2004-2008 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL, Sierra (Classic) Sierra Denali (classic), Sierra, Sierra Denali

2004-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

Condition: Some customers may comment on a pop or clunk type noise while turning or driving on uneven road surfaces. This noise can be heard and/or felt at either the driver's or front passenger floor pan area.

Cause: Under certain conditions, normal movement between the framea nd the #1, #2, or #3 body mounts may cause this noise to occur.

Diagnosis:

- If the vehicle is equipped with aftermarket (non-GM Accessory running boards or the running board is mounted using the body mount bolt, remove the running boards prior to test driving the vehicle. THis will eliminate the running boards as a possible cause of the noise.

- Instal the J-39570 Chassis Ears to the frame rail at or near the body mounts.

- Test drive the vehicle to identify which mount is suspect.

Correction:

Install an insulator at the suspect mount(s). The insulator should be installed between the upper portion of the body mount and the frame bracket. The #1 mount is the mount located just under the A-pillar. The #2 mount is the mount located just under the B-pillar. The #3 mount is the mount located just under the C-pillar. Use the procedure listed below.

- Raise the vehicle on the hoist. It is recommended to use a four-post lift or strap the vehicle frame to the hoist arms.

- For the left side mounts only, remove the intermediate park brake cable. Perform the following steps:

2.1 Remove the nut from the park brake equalizer

2.2 Remove the intermediate cable from the equalizer.

2.3 Depress the retaining tabs that secure the park brakes cable to the frame.

2.4 Pull slightly on the cable from the mounting area in order to provide slack for body movement without binding the cable.

- Remove all the body mount bolts on the side being repaired.

- Properly support the body at the body mount area.

Caution: When you remove the body mount, do NOT separate the frame from the body more than is necessary. Possible personal injury and damage to multiple parts may reult.

- Lower the chassis accordingly in order to remove the upper portion of the body mount.

- Install the new insulator to the bottom of the top portion of the body mount. The picture shows the insulator (1) location after the body mount is reassembled.

- Install the body mount to the frame bracket.

- Perform the following procedures before installing the bolts.

8.1 Clean the bolt threads of all the original thread locking compound.

8.2 Clean the threads of the bolt with denatured alcohol or equivalent and allow to dry.

8.3 Apply Threadlocker, GM P/N 89021297 (In Canada, use P/N 10953488).

- Install the body mount bolts.

Tighten

For 2003, 2004, and 2005 model year, tighten the bolts to 85 N m (63 lb ft).

Tighten

For 2006-2008 model year, tighten the bolts 100 N m (74 lb ft).

- Reinstall the intermediate park brake cable (left side only).

Parts info:

P/N: 15899719 - Insulator, Body

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

E9438* - Install Insulator to Body Mount (one side) 1.2 hrs**

Add - To install insulator to Additional Body Mount (opposite side) 0.6 hrs

Add - To Install Insulator to Additional Body Mount (same side) 0.2 hrs

* This labor operation number is for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

** This time includes diagnosis time.

I actually had one of my body mount insulators changed out when searching for a clunk in my truck. It turned out being something completly different but they are very cheap. I think they are like $.70 a piece. I had my mechanic I have been using for a while now throw it in and help me find the clunk and it took him minutes to put it in. I was lucky because he owns his own shop and did not charge me becuase it did not fix the problem. Anyhow Good Luck again. Just one other check would be your Intermediate steering shaft those are a common cause of a clunk in the front end. Below is that bulletin.

Subject: Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft (I-Shaft) Assembly) #00-02-35-003M - (01/31/2007)

Models: 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models

2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)

2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the repair procedure with a permanent fix. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003L (Section 02 -- Steering).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips

Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

• Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise -- A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer -- Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation).

• Intermediate Shaft Clunk -- Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input.

Correction

DO THIS

DON'T DO THIS

Replace the I-Shaft with P/N 19153614.

Do NOT lubricate or exercise the I-Shaft.

Important:

• I-shaft P/N 19155614 has been designed to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened I-shafts. The physical difference in the yoke size will accommodate all vehicles listed in this bulletin.

• Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.

Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.

Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.

Notice: On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior model year vehicles.

For 2002 and later vehicles, install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.

From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.

Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.

For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:

6.1. Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.

6.2. Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.

6.3. Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so the intermediate shaft can be removed.

From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.

Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.

8.1. From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column.

8.2. From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.

Replace the upper intermediate shaft.

Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.

Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.

Install the upper bolt and nut.

Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 47 N·m (35 lb ft).

Install the lower bolt and nut.

Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:

14.1. Reposition the accelerator pedals into position on the bulkhead.

14.2. Install the two retaining nuts.

Tighten

Tighten the nuts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

14.3. Reposition the carpet into place.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Shaft - Upper Intermediate Steering

GM rides also have problems with the loose mounts after some years... Normally every companies car faces this problem but GM has this problem on a high even my car was clunking from behind I just got it to the dealer and fixed it... Really GM should think for a better solution for that....

Archived