Blackbear Tune Mileage Report

Well, I decided to finally put in my gas receipts from the past 7 thousand miles and do a little comparison of my fuel mileage before and after the Blackbear 93 octane tune. While I should say that the main reason I purchased the tune is so that I could get the increased performance, at the same time I was hoping for a bump in fuel mileage. So far, I have tracked my fuel usage over 25205 miles of usage, 14735 of which were on tanks of fuel which were with a stock tune and the rest with the Blackbear tune. My driving habits are probably about 80% interstate, 15% city, and 5% towing. The fuel mileage numbers are as follows:

Avg Fuel Economy:

Blackbear-16.51 mpg

Stock-16.84 mpg

Max Recorded Tank:

Blackbear-18.18 mpg (over 336 miles)

Stock-20.36 mpg (over 228 miles)

Lowest Recorded Tank:

Blackbear-13.07 mpg (over 297.5 miles towing ~3k)

Stock-12.23 mpg (over 248.5 miles towing ~3k)

Lowest Recorded Non-Towing Tank:

Blackbear-13.98 mpg

Stock-13.53 mpg

So, overall, I feel as though the increase in power has resulted in MUCH better performance. I have already dyno'd the truck and demonstrated that it produces more power across the RPM range with the tune, and I don't think it is a big secret that the transmission tuning is my favorite part of the deal. I will say that I am, however, disappointed that I have not been able to squeek out any more mpg on my unloaded interstate drives. I am not a fast driver when I am on trips and usually only set my cruise at 71-72 mph which is how I managed the 20 mpg tank on the stock tune(backed up by a couple tanks in the 19 mpg range). But try as I may, I cannot get the same high mileage tank out of the Blackbear tuned ECM. Either way, I am very satisfied and I am more than willing to sacrifice .3 mpg (~1.7%) in the name of the improvements that I have seen performance wise. But, if you too are thinking you will see a 1-2 mpg improvement from a tuned ECM, this is hard evidence contrary to that.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that (at least in my situation). I think every truck is going to be a different situation. I did see a 1-2 MPG increase on highway trips with the 87 octane tune (I ran 89 in the trip). I went from stock tune and stock suspension on truck getting around 18 MPG on highway. Then I leveled the truck out (2.5"), wheels and tires (285/60/18) and it dropped to around 16-17 MPG. Last trip I went on with the 87 octane tune (I filled up with 89 up there and 87 octane back), and averaged almost 19 running 80mph. City MPG has stayed pretty close to the same as before the tune.

I understand that my truck will surely be different from others and my tune is surely unique even to others who have a Blackbear tune. I am not honestly trying to dissuade anyone from getting a tune as I have been more than happy with it. However, I just wanted to provide my evidence of what has been the case with my truck over an extended period of time. I am actually thinking of contacting Justin and asking if he would mind me sending a log of my interstate drive home and seeing if he can optimize the area of the maps where I typically travel and see if he can benefit me even more. I honestly don't know how far he has pushed my tune, but I would say that there are likely some additional gains to be had.

Did you notice any noticeable performance difference towing?

The difference is much the same as it was for the unloaded truck. The shifts are so much quicker and without nearly as much torque being cut, so the whole experience is infinitely smoother. As far as torque is concerned, it was pretty much a crap shoot, but the times I have towed stock vs the times I have towed tuned have been on very different terrain so I have had some difficulty directly comparing the two. But, I have been very impressed with the way my truck handles loads as I have never had any trouble maintaining speed or accelerating even up very steep hills. It is not a diesel (which I am spoiled from) but it does a very good job for what it is.

The difference is much the same as it was for the unloaded truck. The shifts are so much quicker and without nearly as much torque being cut, so the whole experience is infinitely smoother. As far as torque is concerned, it was pretty much a crap shoot, but the times I have towed stock vs the times I have towed tuned have been on very different terrain so I have had some difficulty directly comparing the two. But, I have been very impressed with the way my truck handles loads as I have never had any trouble maintaining speed or accelerating even up very steep hills. It is not a diesel (which I am spoiled from) but it does a very good job for what it is.

I guess I missed (or forgot) what you're towing? Did you tow the same load with a 5.3/4-spd prior to the '09?

I guess I missed (or forgot) what you're towing? Did you tow the same load with a 5.3/4-spd prior to the '09?

Each time it has been something a little different. I have pulled a twin axle cattle trailer (trailer weighs about 3500) with anywhere from 1k-3k of cattle on board, I have pulled an enclosed U-haul trailer for a friend loaded with his furniture, I have towed a small twin axle open trailer with a small (<1000 lb) race car, I have towed a portable cattle scale, and also I have towed my dad's 10ft v-nose enclosed trailer. I have been with people who have towed with older 5.3L/4spd combos with 3.73 gears who were pulling enclosed trailers with similar loads and their trucks definitely were worse than what mine is for towing. Their 2nd gear downshifts are infinitely worse than the 4th gear kickdowns of the 6 speed combo, but I honestly don't know what they got in the way of gas mileage. Everything I have pulled with prior to this truck was one of my father's old 8.1 L trucks or one of his Duramax trucks (or I guess technically my old 86 1/2 ton with a 305). So, all I can really compare to are those. Those trucks put mine to utter shame when it comes to towing or unloaded actually, but mine does put up respectable mileage and was way cheaper (except for my 86... :P )

Each time it has been something a little different. I have pulled a twin axle cattle trailer (trailer weighs about 3500) with anywhere from 1k-3k of cattle on board, I have pulled an enclosed U-haul trailer for a friend loaded with his furniture, I have towed a small twin axle open trailer with a small (<1000 lb) race car, I have towed a portable cattle scale, and also I have towed my dad's 10ft v-nose enclosed trailer. I have been with people who have towed with older 5.3L/4spd combos with 3.73 gears who were pulling enclosed trailers with similar loads and their trucks definitely were worse than what mine is for towing. Their 2nd gear downshifts are infinitely worse than the 4th gear kickdowns of the 6 speed combo, but I honestly don't know what they got in the way of gas mileage. Everything I have pulled with prior to this truck was one of my father's old 8.1 L trucks or one of his Duramax trucks (or I guess technically my old 86 1/2 ton with a 305). So, all I can really compare to are those. Those trucks put mine to utter shame when it comes to towing or unloaded actually, but mine does put up respectable mileage and was way cheaper (except for my 86... :P )

Thanks for the feedback. I'd guess your downshift is to 3rd, since 4th on the 6-spd/3.42 is very similar to 3rd on the 4-spd/3.73. The 4L60 goes to 2nd to pull grades, where the 6L80 should do well with 3rd most of the time. There's about 600 rpm difference between the two, but it can sound like more. If the 6-spd needs 2nd, it's going to be screaming, but the spacing of 4th to 3rd is nice for most conditions. I agree on the comparison to the Dmax and 8.1. I'm familiar with towing with both too. Actually, the 8.1 used by a group I support sometimes has a 6-spd behind it, but I don't know if it's the Alison or the 6L90 (2006 model). Both are a hoss.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd guess your downshift is to 3rd, since 4th on the 6-spd/3.42 is very similar to 3rd on the 4-spd/3.73. The 4L60 goes to 2nd to pull grades, where the 6L80 should do well with 3rd most of the time. There's about 600 rpm difference between the two, but it can sound like more. If the 6-spd needs 2nd, it's going to be screaming, but the spacing of 4th to 3rd is nice for most conditions. I agree on the comparison to the Dmax and 8.1. I'm familiar with towing with both too. Actually, the 8.1 used by a group I support sometimes has a 6-spd behind it, but I don't know if it's the Alison or the 6L90 (2006 model). Both are a hoss.

If I really prod it trying to accelerate, I can get it to downshift to 3rd. All of my "keeping speed" downshifts are simply to 4th though. I do feel like my truck is stronger than what the 2003-2004 model year trucks I have ridden in which were towing since they did occasionally have to downshift to 2nd in order to maintain speed. Dad owned 2 8.1L trucks that he got new in 2002 (both were 2001 models) and now he has a 2005 LLY Duramax and a 2006 LBZ Duramax. All 4 had Allisons, with the LBZ having the only 6 speed (which is what should be behind the 8.1 you are talking about). They were(are) all very awesome tow rigs. His 2005 I have done a full 4" exhaust with cat delete plus a hypertech programmer (not great, but safe) with a boost stick. That truck really goes well for how big it is.

If I really prod it trying to accelerate, I can get it to downshift to 3rd. All of my "keeping speed" downshifts are simply to 4th though.

Ahh, ok. For my load, I'd need 3rd for the type of climbs I'm familiar with around here (6%+ on the hwy).

The 4L60 would pull the same grade/load you mention in 3rd. There's ~5% difference in ratio between the 6-spd/3.42/4th and 4-spd/3.73/3rd, but 3rd will unlock the TC on the 4-spd and make up that difference, plus some. Not sure if the 6-spd operates much w/ the TC unlocked, but I don't think it does (?).

The 07+ 5.3 has more torque/power, and the full boxed frame is great. My previous truck was a '99 5.3, and I quickly noticed the difference towing, even with identical overall gearing. Not like going from a 1500 to a 2500HD, but more stability & power. I'd like to have the 6-spd, but probably won't anytime soon. At 13k lbs combined weight, it would nice (I think), but only for about 1% of my driving. Towing from TN to MI, or TN to FL, I think I use 2nd gear at hwy speed on ~3 or 4 grades (out of 600 miles). The "answer" to the high revs is to slow down to ~55 mph when you know it's going to need 2nd. The 5.3 really comes alive around 4k rpm, so it's quieter/smoother @ 55 mph/3500 rpm. I think that's one reason the 6-spd seems so much smoother. When it hits 3rd at 60 mph, it's still only pulling 3300 to 3500 rpm... which is below peak torque... and quieter. If someone "puts it on cruise control", that jump in rpm won't seem very harsh. Doing the same on the 4-spd at 65 mph will wake you on every (steeper) grade.

Edit: Just remembered how much off topic I've taken this. Sorry 'bout that.

If I really prod it trying to accelerate, I can get it to downshift to 3rd. All of my "keeping speed" downshifts are simply to 4th though.

Ahh, ok. For my load, I'd need 3rd for the type of climbs I'm familiar with around here (6%+ on the hwy).

The 4L60 would pull the same grade/load you mention in 3rd. There's ~5% difference in ratio between the 6-spd/3.42/4th and 4-spd/3.73/3rd, but 3rd will unlock the TC on the 4-spd and make up that difference, plus some. Not sure if the 6-spd operates much w/ the TC unlocked, but I don't think it does (?).

The 07+ 5.3 has more torque/power, and the full boxed frame is great. My previous truck was a '99 5.3, and I quickly noticed the difference towing, even with identical overall gearing. Not like going from a 1500 to a 2500HD, but more stability & power. I'd like to have the 6-spd, but probably won't anytime soon. At 13k lbs combined weight, it would nice (I think), but only for about 1% of my driving. Towing from TN to MI, or TN to FL, I think I use 2nd gear at hwy speed on ~3 or 4 grades (out of 600 miles). The "answer" to the high revs is to slow down to ~55 mph when you know it's going to need 2nd. The 5.3 really comes alive around 4k rpm, so it's quieter/smoother @ 55 mph/3500 rpm. I think that's one reason the 6-spd seems so much smoother. When it hits 3rd at 60 mph, it's still only pulling 3300 to 3500 rpm... which is below peak torque... and quieter. If someone "puts it on cruise control", that jump in rpm won't seem very harsh. Doing the same on the 4-spd at 65 mph will wake you on every (steeper) grade.

Edit: Just remembered how much off topic I've taken this. Sorry 'bout that.

Its okay. I enjoy discussing. The only 4 speed we have to compare to is my step-mom's silverado ss. That truck has way more low end torque than my truck, but I suspect that my truck is not much slower than it once we are up and moving.

What did you truck dyno at before the tune ? and what did it dyno at after the tune ? I'm thinking about buying one, but don't want to if it's just "seat of the pants" power. .

I had a thread that talked about the Blackbear dyno tune not long ago, however, here is the sheet of the data that I made.

Stock_To_BB_Torque_Curves.pdf

I log every fill up on mine also via gasbuddy on the net. It has a fuel log book section that works like Excel spreadsheet somewhat. I have not crunched numbers as well as the original poster but I have not noticed any MPG gains or noticeable losses for that matter either. I just have the 87 tune with 75% TM removed and T/H left alone. Truck is way more responsive and fun to drive and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I log every fill up on mine also via gasbuddy on the net. It has a fuel log book section that works like Excel spreadsheet somewhat. I have not crunched numbers as well as the original poster but I have not noticed any MPG gains or noticeable losses for that matter either. I just have the 87 tune with 75% TM removed and T/H left alone. Truck is way more responsive and fun to drive and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

It would have been impossible for me to say that I gained or lost MPG without tracking every tank. The average and max are where the BB tune falls short of the stock tune. If you look at the median of the data, the two data sets are within 0.01 mpg of one another. That strikes me as pretty interesting. Either way, I fully intend to keep tracking my mileage and update it throughout my ownership of this truck. Unfortunately, my travel habits are about to change significantly from mostly interstate to more city driving. Hence the need for the comparison at this juncture. I am glad that I seem to be the only one that has lost mpg from the tune as I certainly feel as though mpg should be improved through tuning, but I figured people would be interested (and indeed it does seem that some are) in what my real world mileage has been with and without the tune.

Archived