2010 Sierra Denali - Engine Dying - Rough Idle

Hi Guys (and gals)

Yesterday, my truck started running very rough and even the engine was shutting off at stop lights. There was terrible hesitation and lunging of the truck with very little power.

The service engine soon light is now on.

So, this morning, I press the OnStar button and tell them to diagnosis it. They pulled 3 codes.

P0101 - Engine Transmission System

P2270 - Emission Control System

P2272 - Emission Control System

She said this was related to the air intake system. I though to myself....oh no...I installed a Volant CAI 3 weeks ago.

After the call, I opened my hood. Lo an behold, the 3" tube came loose from the Volant filter box.

This means that my engine was sucking un-filtered air.

I proceeded to get the flex tube mounted back on the filter box, and now the truck runs fine.

However, the SES light is still on.

Question: Have I done any damage by sucking unfiltered air into my engine? It ran like this for ~50 miles.

How should I handle this? Take it to the dealer? Or take it to AutoZone and have them reset the light?

Advice is appreciated.

OK, I am running Amsoil but will change it out today....if the rain will stop.

How about my throttle body? Do you think that this now requires cleaning?

It is very doubtful that you pulled enough dirt/dust through to need to clean anything. most of it was sucked through the engine and out the exhaust. Changing the oil is optional, but not required. If you were driving in very dusty conditions, then maybe I would, but otherwise, that is the job of the oil filter.

As for the issue with the Volant, that is one of the reasons why I pulled mine off (The main reason was because I found a GMPP intake). I had backed uphill into a parking space and didn't set the parking brake before placing the truck in park and releasing my foot from the brake pedal. When I came back out and got into my truck, it was doing exactly what yours was. I drove 3 miles back to our office, and pulled my truck into the warehouse. I found my tube loose at the throttle body. I had to slot the holes in the bottom of the air box, and make a small bracket extension to use the bolts near the fender, but I was able to slide my box closer towards the engine by about 3/4 inch. This kept it from happening again. Their tubes are just a bit too short IMO.

I would consider your truck completley ruined right now, I`ll give you 5k for it. :seeya:

:D

I'm no expert but I would say the truck should be fine if it runs substaintial trouble free miles after you put the tubing back on. Good luck.

As some have said, no need to worry about it, too short a distance and time. I have the same CAI and talked to Volant about the pipe being too short, sad part is they know it is, and all they can suggest is to connect the air box first, the connect the engine side. They claim they cannot get the connecting part any longer, I suggested maybe they could simply make the plastic part a half inch longer instead. The impression I got from the tech person was they were afraid if they did that they would have to replace all the ones they already sold for free.

The pipe actually needs to be a half inch longer, and slightly angled at the air box end.

Well, my service engine soon light finally went off by itself. After the 3rd start up, it was off. So all seems back to normal.

I think I will slot the holes in the bottom of the filter box to allow the adjustment towards the engine.

I really appreciate all the replies throughout the day from everyone.

Archived