Most people I know have been using seafoam ever since they got their hands on it, I myself have used it in my previous vehicles that were older model trucks and cars, I used it once in my 06 and havent used it since then, my question is that Im not sure if its harming any components? So who is still using it and having no problems with their vehicle?

I use a full can every 5000mi when I do my oil changes.

I assume thats in the gas tank right? Im also currious to see who uses it on a regular basis. Does anyont use it in the oils and intake regularly, or is that just for deep cleaning?

I use a full can every 5000mi when I do my oil changes.

I assume thats in the gas tank right? Im also currious to see who uses it on a regular basis. Does anyont use it in the oils and intake regularly, or is that just for deep cleaning?

I haven't used it in the oil, but according to the seafoam website you add 1.5 oz per quart of oil...so 9 oz in our 6 quart capacity trucks.

With all the oil consumption threads on the newer 900 trucks I don't know that keeping engine components clean by adding it to the oil would be a bad idea. However with the motor oils required by GM now and the dexos spec for cleanliness, it might be overkill too. I certainly would NOT be afraid of the product.

On my 99 and 01 trucks I did put Seafoam through the brake booster line. Used about 1/2 a can. Poured the rest into the gas. It was one of the few times I really felt like a product really did something. The truck seemed to have better throttle response after the cleaning. The smoke show was fun too.

I know of 2 5.3's and one 6.0 that died during the use of seafoam. 6.0 hydrolocked and took out several rods. 1 5.3 collapsed 4 lifters and the other lost oil pressure due to a clogged pick up screen.

Personally I have never used "snake oil" products and I just turned 304,000miles on my drivetrain.

I would think 2x about using that in a vehicle under warranty. GM specifically tells you not to in the owners manual.

Engine Oil Additives / Engine Oil

Flushes

Do not add anything to the oil. The recommended oils

with the starburst symbol that meet GM Standard

GM6094M are all that is needed for good performance

and engine protection.

Engine oil system flushes are not recommended and

could cause engine damage not covered by the

vehicle warranty.

Just because it never seemed to hurt anything before is no proof is a wise idea to use it.

If you use good oil, you just don't need it, its just a waste of your money. Put that money to buying a better oil.

Ditto on the warranty, and on the low mileage comments. I wouldnt even think about using it before at least 100K miles. and then I would only use it on a 50K mile basis if needed.

The only time Ive ever used it was on a 4.3l with 125K on the clock. I used half a can in the intake via brake booster, half a can in the oil, and a full can in the full gas tank. Ran it about 50 miles and changed the oil. Made a world of difference after that and a new set of plugs.

If you look up the MSDS on it is is nothing special, some naptha, light oil, alcohol. I would not put it in the oil or tranny but in the fuel or carefully through the intake should be fine.

The trouble with using the brake booster hose is you are going to flood a few cylinders with it and not touch others. That is why some folks have done damage with it through the brake hose.

Through the intake like that the components are not critical, people used to decarbon by using a spray bottle of water. The liquid droplets flying around in the chamber are what does the decarboning.

For something to put in oil I like AutoRX, not terribly cheap, not terribly fast but is very effective.

I love the stuff and have used it on both of my trucks. But I've only used it thought the break boost and never added it to the oil. My last truck was a 4.8L V8 but she never had any problems when I traded her in with 120K on the clock.

I used it at 17K on my current truck. She didn't smoke very much, or not a much as I remembered my last truck smoking. I just did it again at 40k, now that was some serious smoke. I thought it would lightly smoke like she did before. NO WAY, she smoked like cartoon smoke for about 10 minutes, and then lightly smoked for another 10 minutes. I did it during my lunch break at a local PEP Boys and talk about getting attention. :sigh:

I've have no problems and I can tell the difference. I use about 3/4 of the can to the break boost and I add the rest to the tank.

I used it on my 2006 Silverado 1500 crew 5.3L. I had a Westers tune, over sized intake and I bought it brand new and put seafoam through the brake line booster, in the gas and the oil. I didn't start putting it in the oil until 50k but did put it in the gas and through the booster every 3k miles. I put 166k on the truck and totaled it last month :-( I now have a new 2011 Silverado 1500 crew with the 5.3L active fuel management. I'm wondering if I should run it through this truck though. I'm not sure of the fuel management and what it can do to it.

Anyway, in my 2006, I never had a problem and my gas mileage never decreased and my truck always ran like new. I don't think it's over kill putting it through the system every 5k. I also seafoamed 3 of my friends trucks and they couldn't believe how well their trucks ran after.

I used it on my 2006 Silverado 1500 crew 5.3L. I had a Westers tune, over sized intake and I bought it brand new and put seafoam through the brake line booster, in the gas and the oil. I didn't start putting it in the oil until 50k but did put it in the gas and through the booster every 3k miles. I put 166k on the truck and totaled it last month :-( I now have a new 2011 Silverado 1500 crew with the 5.3L active fuel management. I'm wondering if I should run it through this truck though. I'm not sure of the fuel management and what it can do to it.

Anyway, in my 2006, I never had a problem and my gas mileage never decreased and my truck always ran like new. I don't think it's over kill putting it through the system every 5k. I also seafoamed 3 of my friends trucks and they couldn't believe how well their trucks ran after.

I use it occasionally in my trucks, but EVERY, and I mean EVERY gallon of fuel that goes thru my outboard engine has it in it.

When the manufacturer recommends it on an engine that costs over $15,000 by itself, it gets used.

Archived