Bad squeaking in reverse

Hey guys! I've recently developed a loud squeak when I am in reverse and the vehicle is in motion backing up. It's not a constant squeak. It is a squeak, quiet, squeak, quiet, kind of noise. The squeak sounds like it's coming from a rotational source because the faster I go in reverse the faster the squeak is. It's definitely coming from the rear of the vehicle, but I can't pinpoint where exactly. It doesn't sound like it's right at a wheel/tire, but more like under the vehicle. I'm wondering if this is a sign my u-joint is worn out. Has anyone here had this happen, or know what the issue is from experience? I greatly appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks guys. I figured this would be the general consensus. I've not had to replace u-joints on any of the many other vehicles I've owned. About what kind of repair cost am I looking at if I take it to a local shop (not dealership)? I probably won't tackle this one myself due to time.

Thanks guys. I figured this would be the general consensus. I've not had to replace u-joints on any of the many other vehicles I've owned. About what kind of repair cost am I looking at if I take it to a local shop (not dealership)? I probably won't tackle this one myself due to time.

1 hr labour minimum for 1 u-joint

Archived