Braking power sucks

I don't get it, i have brand new brake pads and rotors and fluid all the way around(4 wheel disc) yet if i have to stop in a hurry i have to really put my foot into the pedal...whats going on? everytime the dealer tinkers with the brake system(example:changeing the pads) the the brakes grab like they got teeth for about an hour then its back to sponge mode...also if i come to a stop in a hurry, just before the trucks rearend drops down from the inertia, i get a sound and feeling in the pedal like the calipers are lose, or sometimes i get the sound like the calipers are delaying the release of the pads on the rotors when i take off from a stop...wtf is going on lol, the dealer services this truck 100% also

thanks

Nature of the beast. 4 wheel discs will feel more spongy. It takes a good bit more fluid to move a caliper piston than it does to activate a wheel cylinder (drum brake). Fresh cut disks and fresh surfaced pads will always feel great for a little while. What you are experiencing is the reason GM went back to drums in the rear.

My GMT-800 always felt like that. If you have a weak brake booster, then you'll need more petal to get the brakes to grab.

My GMT-900 has 10x better braking than my GMT-800 did (both have disc brakes). I don't know if it has bigger pads, or what the difference is, but I know my GMT-800 could have really benefited from a aftermarket brake upgrade. I had a couple of situations towing where someone cut in front of me at a light, and I felt like Fred Flintstone digging my feet into the ground to make the beast stop!

Best approach for braking is to quickly get on the petal and rapidly press it. That will allow the brakes to bite, and the truck stays balanced, and it stops better. If you stab the pedal, the front end will dig in first, and the mass of the truck rotates up on the front axle, and braking distances go way up. Hard to explain, but if you try it you'll know what I mean (its the method taught to professional car drivers).

The brakes were one of the things I always hated about my 2003. They were always spongy. The 4 wheel disc brakes on my 2012 are SOOO much better.

I upgraded the front rotors to drilled/slotted with ceramics then fresh fluid and the beast can stop very well. I also just recently changed the rear drums and pads, which both were toast, and now i couldnt be happier with the braking capabilities.

sometimes it feels like i have butter on my rotors, like the pads are just covered in grease to the point that they can't create friction on the rotors...it sucks lol,

for the most part, high dollar pads like ceramics last a lot longer and produce far less brake dust.

cheaper pads produce loads of dust and dont last long. but they grab better.

i have ceramic pads because i don't like brake dust and i did both front hubs, pads, and turned the rotors all at once. i did not want to take a tire off of my truck for a very long time. if you don't mind brake dust and want to stop, buy the cheapos. at my local oriellys, they are in a yellow box and say "disc brake pads". no brand name or anything. they are about 15 bucks a set. buy some, if you dont notice a difference, sorry i gave you bad advice but you are only out 15 bucks and a saturday evening.

I don't get it, i have brand new brake pads and rotors and fluid all the way around(4 wheel disc) yet if i have to stop in a hurry i have to really put my foot into the pedal...whats going on? everytime the dealer tinkers with the brake system(example:changeing the pads) the the brakes grab like they got teeth for about an hour then its back to sponge mode...also if i come to a stop in a hurry, just before the trucks rearend drops down from the inertia, i get a sound and feeling in the pedal like the calipers are lose, or sometimes i get the sound like the calipers are delaying the release of the pads on the rotors when i take off from a stop...wtf is going on lol, the dealer services this truck 100% also

thanks

order to stop - you have to stand up on the pedal? - may be defective Brake Booster, vacuum hoses etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk6e5tTVsm8&feature=related

• 2 weeks later...

The Brakes on the later GMT 900 just were not very good. It didn't really bother me when I had mine but I drove my dads GMT 800 the other day and the brakes are night and day better on my new truck then his.

the

The Brakes on the later GMT 900 just were not very good. It didn't really bother me when I had mine but I drove my dads GMT 800 the other day and the brakes are night and day better on my new truck then his.

THe brakes weren't very good on the later GMT 800****

Archived