Do I need a brake controller?

Just bought a trailer with electric brakes I can only assume I need an aftermarket brake controller? My 08 1/2ton has the tow package just not sure what else I need.

I've always had hydraulic brakes on my trailers so Im lost when it comes to this.

Thanks!

For the bakes to work yes you need a controller. There is a red wire you have to hook up in the engine compartment by the fuses to get power and then add a 40 amp fuse in the allocated spot. Then install controller and adjust per manual

If you have the ability, then yes. It makes a world of difference when breaking. I just towed a few thousand pound trailer earlier today without trailer breaks and it was more difficult to stop then towing a 16 ft dovetail(with trailer breaks) with a skidsteer on it.

Yes get one. You already have a trailer with brakes, make it easy on your truck and buy a controller. Very easy install, all you need to buy is a fuse.

The Tekonsha Prodigy controllers work great and are very easy to install. My P3 works great, would not tow without one after using it a few times. Well worth the $150.00 IMO.

Yes get one. You already have a trailer with brakes, make it easy on your truck and buy a controller. Very easy install, all you need to buy is a fuse.

The Tekonsha Prodigy controllers work great and are very easy to install. My P3 works great, would not tow without one after using it a few times. Well worth the $150.00 IMO.

+1 on the Prodigy.

Best deal you'll find on the P2. Don't forget your vehicle-specific wiring harness.

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/prodigy_p2-electronic-brake-control-by-tekonsha-new-17-0091.html

Larry

+1 on the Prodigy.

Best deal you'll find on the P2. Don't forget your vehicle-specific wiring harness.

http://www.rvwholesa...ew-17-0091.html

Larry

That does not apply to the GMT900 trucks, there is no harness, it must be hardwired.

Archived