Something's missing lol Air cleaner issue

So I'm in the process of obtaining my buddy's 1985 K10 Silverado. (305 and happy with that right now haha). Only thing done in the engine compartment was a half-ass air cleaner mod some before him did. (I already busted his chops for not addressing it)

All they did was remove the air filter cover and retro fit a larger filter on. They then removed the tubing to the grill...and also something below....

I know this isn't the best picture but it's all I have for right now, I'll post another next time i look at the truck in a few days.

What is missing is something that goes from under the intake tube where that disc is, down to the engine, which looked like the headers. (I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this, I'm going off what i remember from looking at it for 10 minutes.) I have been unable to find a photo of a stock 305 at the right angle to see what it should look like.

I'm PLANNING on swapping all this crap and putting a regular chrome air cleaner on top of the carb....should i be worried about this missing hose tho? do i need to cap something? thoughts?

post-41367-0-75755500-1333888627_thumb.jpg

The more i read online the more i'm leaning to it being the hose for the air injection line for the exhaust (stupid emissions). The vehicle is not currently emission tested so i should be ok in that aspect.

But should this be plugged until i replace the headers?

And when i do a proper replacement of the air cleaner, do i need a special aftermarket for the cold-start valve they have on the stock snorkel?

I know what you are talking about, its metal flexible corrugated stuff. They carry it at every part store. Should be right next to the chrome air cleaner housing you are looking for. At the point it wouldn't do any good because the filter is sucking free air under the hood and not from the piece that points to the passenger side.

Was just concerned with it being a wide open hole at the header....

The engine seems to run great now as its is. With that said should i have no problem swapping the housing and removing the vacuum controlled cold-start valve?

Or what is everyone's thoughts to do with this from here?

If you're putting a stock-like air cleaner back on, then I'd re-install the heat riser tube. Your carb will appreciate a little warm air when it's cold. Just make sure your thermac valve is opening and closing on schedule

So its ok to leave the port open at the exhaust then? Ill search around from after market set ups and alternatives. Just wanted to get a better understanding before I started messing with it. Thanks everyone

Archived