Rear wheel locking

I am posting this for a friend as I have been talking up the site to him for some time now. I suspect he will join shortly.

As always thanks in advance for your help

--------- start of message ---------

I have a 2011 Chevrolet ½ ton that started locking the right rear tire immediately prior to stopping on slippery conditions.  On dry pavement the condition is just super touchy brakes.  This started to occur about January of 2012 after about 12K km’s of use.  I purchased the truck new.  Had it reviewed by the dealer at the time and told this was “normal” and there was no issue.  Lately the brakes are periodically locking on: whereas you can take your foot off the brake pedal (at rest) and the brakes remain engaged until you hit the accelerator and then a strong snapping sound can be heard.  This sound is what I believe to be the shoes slamming back to the return position.  There is just about 23K on the truck now. 

The “locking on” appears to be primarily after initial start up and appears to disappear as the drive continues.  It seems to be more frequent in the cooler (say close to or below freezing) damp temperatures.  The locking of the right rear is consistent throughout the drive.

I have taken it back to the dealer just this morning and they are again uncertain what is the cause.  They are not sure if it is the sensor under the pedal or possible in the wheel cylinder itself and are hesitant to start fixing items that may not be broke.  At this point they have not even pulled the wheels.  They have also considered rust but the “locking on” has occurred after the vehicle has sat for as little as 8 hours.  The locking on is not constant and of course was not when present when it was at the dealer. 

Has anybody have this symptom occur before.  I believe the two items are linked but the dealer thinks they are different.  Is there a routine fix or a bulletin from GM for this problem?  Do you have any suggestions? 

I would be pushing the dealer as it is still under warranty. Let them do the head scratching, don't settle until repairs are proper and complete.

Now to ideas: Wheel cylinder binding/hung up or slightly bent internally. I don't have any other ideas that would explain the symptoms.

I would be pushing the dealer as it is still under warranty. Let them do the head scratching, don't settle until repairs are proper and complete.

Now to ideas: Wheel cylinder binding/hung up or slightly bent internally. I don't have any other ideas that would explain the symptoms.

Agree 100%

Could also be a leaking rear wheel bearing, leaking rear diff fluid onto the rear brake shoe. Would cause this too. They need to pull the wheel to look.

No insult but I have to disagree. I personally had that problem on my '76 Chevy years ago, fluid (brake or diff) in the shoes will cause the brake to slip versus locking up.

However I do agree that someone needs to pull the wheel to see what, for sure, is going on in there.

Could also be a leaking rear wheel bearing, leaking rear diff fluid onto the rear brake shoe. Would cause this too. They need to pull the wheel to look.

No insult but I have to disagree. I personally had that problem on my '76 Chevy years ago, fluid (brake or diff) in the shoes will cause the brake to slip versus locking up.

However I do agree that someone needs to pull the wheel to see what, for sure, is going on in there.

In my experience a leaking axle seal or leaking wheel cylinder can and does cause the brake to lock up. Has to do with the heat that gets generated during braking and how it impacts the oil on the brake shoe. My experience ended before ABS became common on North American vehicles, and the locking up by contaminated shoes would drive the ABS nuts since it is not the pedal pressure causing the lock up.

Drum brake pads can get saturated with the diff fluid and lock up. Seen it twice. Once it locked up and stayed locked up, and the other time was intermittent lock up.

Just a possibility is all. Could be something with the parking brake cable getting bound up. Try working that a few times.

Still, someone has to take the wheel off and LOOK.

Got an update back from my buddy on his brake issues.

Update for posting:

Thanks to everybody who has taken the time to read and help out with the issue. I stopped by the dealer again and had a discussion about the idea’s presented here. The shop foreman has been involved from the very beginning and had an answer to all the great idea’s presented here. He has indicated that he has also contacted GM and they have never heard of any issue like this before with the 2011 ½ ton’s. Because the issue is not repeating itself at the dealer, and in my humble opinion more than likely not going to until the cooler temperature return, they are not prepared to start fixing items that they are not sure is broken. They do not believe taking the tire off the truck to look at the drums is required as there is no visible or felt problem with the truck when its at the dealership. Allegedly if the seal was leaking there would more than likely be a trace outside of the drum…My personal belief is a wheel cylinder but…In addition, I have not and don’t use the parking brake.

While I’m concerned about the quality of the braking system in general and possibility the brakes may become permanently engaged at some point in time, an additional concern is chevy considers brakes to be a normal wear item. If the issue doesn’t present itself until this winter again and there is 40,000km on the truck by that time I’m sure they would ask that I pony up for the cost of the repair. I have made sure each occurrence is documented both at 12,000 and 20,000km on the truck so I believe I’m covered but since they keep telling me its all in my head I’m sure they would try and back out of it somehow. I’m left with no option at this point but to start working with a second dealership and if required GM directly.

If there are any other idea’s I’m more than open to looking into them.

What is the big deal about checking the rear brakes? It will take less than 30 minutes, assuming the mechanic wants to take a 15 min break while checking the brakes. I would go to the owner of the dealership and ask him to explain why his service department is refusing to check the brakes on your truck. Also ask them for a signed document that says the dealership accepts complete liability for any damage that occurs due to rear brake failure. You also should be calling GM asking for an explanation as well.

That's one crazy dealer. Won't even look at anything unless the problem happens while they are driving it? As suggested, I'd speak to someone higher up the ladder, either at the dealership or GM Customer Service

im gettin mad just reading this whole dam thread .....

i'd loose my mind at that dealer ,go to the district service manager ,that dealer WILL toe the line ,i guarantee it ,,i lived in ottawa for awhile,PM me the dealer name ,,,

DO NOT tell me here

im gettin mad just reading this whole dam thread .....

i'd loose my mind at that dealer ,go to the district service manager ,that dealer WILL toe the line ,i guarantee it ,,i lived in ottawa for awhile,PM me the dealer name ,,,

DO NOT tell me here

Actually, I think he should post dealership name. I don't live near Ottawa, but, do drive by there from time to time, would like to know what dealer to avoid in case of breakdown.

Archived