Where is the "sweet spot" in your vehicle?

00Silverado4x4

Over the years of owning different vehicles I've always tended to find the "sweet spot" for speed versus fuel economy. So now I'm curious what other drivers have found on their vehicles (not just trucks).

My current truck (info in sig) seems to be about 50-55 mph where my mpg's climb the fastest and maintain the longest. My previous '04 Sonoma was around 45mph and truly despised highway speeds (65+). It was desinged to haul and haul it did, it just never got good highway mileage.

Of course the sweet spot "in" the truck is always going to be the driver's seat...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

~50-55 for the parameters you describe. It and I seem to gel together best for cruising ~ 80-85, though.

~50-55 for the parameters you describe. It and I seem to gel together best for cruising ~ 80-85, though.

~80-85, whew. My truck likes to cruise but anything above ~75mph and my numbers tend to start going back down slowly.

My truck seems real happy at 100 to 105 since I installed the 4.10 gears.

Is that MPH or KPH?

My truck tops out at 95mph... :nonod:

kph, rpm is right around 2000 to 2200 at that speed, any faster and the mileage drops quickly. At 100kmh I get 25mpg. That is imperial gallon.

on average 50mph in overdrive is the ideal speed for maximum feel economy...but then again their are various factors that also effect mpg...i can easily pull in 20mpg going 50mph unloaded with a 5.3 and 3.42s in the back...i'm a firm beliver in that the best way to safe fuel is to not have a lead foot...also keep in mind speed limits are for safety and ideal fuel efficiency...

My 5.3 seems happy at 63-67, anything more it doesnt really stay in 4 cy mode much

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

My 6.0 4 speed likes 110km/h...it will handle a pretty good hill without kickin down and it gets decent mileage at that rpm. (for a 6 litre...lol) before I put rims and 33's it was at about 100 km/h...

I am running the standard 5.3, 6sp, 3.42 gears, as well as factory wheels and P series tires. 35 PSI in a four tires. Reg 87 octane fuel.

70 mph gets me 19.3 mpg. This is pretty average on a 220 mile all interstate roundtrip I take often.

But if I kick it up to 75 mph, it drops to 18.5 average on the same trip.

Add a 15 mph head wind in and it really drops though.

Archived