2006 gmc cd player stops working when skipping songs

Ive burned a few CD-Rs some work fine and lately if i put a cd in it will play the first song or first few and then make sounds like the laser is moving back and forth not knowing what to do, this happens also if i try to skip songs. I read somewhere about slowing down your burn speed I took it from maximum to 4x and it STILL does it. Im getting fed up with this and i dont have the money right now to replace it.. any ideas? I have a stock delphi 6 disc changer with the 6 bose speakers.

Also any recommendations on a good brand of converter to play my ipod through the radio.. if I cant do cds I at least want my ipod to sound good in there.. right now it doesnt.

When i bought my truck back in 06 i put in a adapter harness.. I am not sure of the exact one i used, but in searching i believe this is the one i installed.

This site shows out of stock, but you should be able to find one somewhere online that has it.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/GM12-AUXv2.html

Your best bet is to go aftermarket. My radio gave up on me by either not turning on, volume stop working, and also not ejecting CD's, which it still has one of my CD's stuck inside lol.

Aftermarket headunita aren't expensive. I got my OK one for like $140 in 2008

It had aux and usb. My current. O have had about a year. Aux usb and Bluetooth. About $180. The only fancy features are listed. Single din no nav or DVD. The bluetothe is nice

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Ive burned a few CD-Rs some work fine and lately if i put a cd in it will play the first song or first few and then make sounds like the laser is moving back and forth not knowing what to do, this happens also if i try to skip songs. I read somewhere about slowing down your burn speed I took it from maximum to 4x and it STILL does it. Im getting fed up with this and i dont have the money right now to replace it.. any ideas? I have a stock delphi 6 disc changer with the 6 bose speakers.

Also any recommendations on a good brand of converter to play my ipod through the radio.. if I cant do cds I at least want my ipod to sound good in there.. right now it doesnt.

Get a PAC iSimple IS-GM575: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=907&CategoryID=36

We use them every day, and they're bulletproof. $100 on Amazon.

Regular is fine, I'm using memorex cds and burning with itunes.. maybe it is an mp3 issue since it does it with certain songs. So dumb they don't read mp3s.. what file do youu recommend?

Regular is fine, I'm using memorex cds and burning with itunes.. maybe it is an mp3 issue since it does it with certain songs. So dumb they don't read mp3s.. what file do youu recommend?

If you're doing MP3 that is the problem, the deck won't reliably read the CD, if at all. The only thing that will work is files copied off a normal CD so .wav files. I am not aware of any way for iTunes to do this as most everything is MP3 or some variant. That deck won't play MP3 CDs unfortunately, very few factory decks did until very recently and even then, it's hit or miss.

Lots of free tools out there that will burn "Music" cds which is what you need. Since they are music you will only get 74-80 mins of music on each I am afraid - not hundreds like you can with MP3s.

My favorite is XP CD Burner:

http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Can burn music, data, video, etc. Cant beat the price! But during install, make surey ou say "No" to any of the toolbars it wants to install into your browser - that is just advertising software they bundle to help pay for it.

Ernie

+1 for CDBurnerXP. Try burning your audio CD's for your car audio at slower speeds, you often get better pit/land geometry that helps the laser 'find' stuff easier.

What is happening is either the laser unit in your deck is getting weak (the laser itself or the servo mechanism that positions it) and while it is still able to read the TOC and follow the tracking the music is in, the variances of the typical CDR is too great for it to over come now. You might be able to nurse it along a bit longer with a different brand of CDR, but once they start going, they start going! Reading a burned CD is much harder work for the player than a pressed CD.

+1 for CDBurnerXP. Try burning your audio CD's for your car audio at slower speeds, you often get better pit/land geometry that helps the laser 'find' stuff easier.

What is happening is either the laser unit in your deck is getting weak (the laser itself or the servo mechanism that positions it) and while it is still able to read the TOC and follow the tracking the music is in, the variances of the typical CDR is too great for it to over come now. You might be able to nurse it along a bit longer with a different brand of CDR, but once they start going, they start going! Reading a burned CD is much harder work for the player than a pressed CD.

All that is probably true but the issue still is that the decks in 2006 and even now cannot read a MP3-format CD. No speed variations or anything else will fix that.

Archived