Alternator pulley squeak

nGAbear

Question

Is there a solution to remedy this without replacing the pulley?

In changing out my belt I noticed it.

** Correction, the squeak seems to comes from inside the alternator itself. Without pulling the multimeter out and testing directly, I will say the alternator appears to be working as it should be.

This squeak explains the whine I hear in conjunction with an rpm increase... I'm looking to quiet this and for a course of action, what do you guys think?

9 answers to this question

Rebuild or replace - bearings are probably bone dry. You wouldn't believe how little grease is placed in them new. It's a wonder they ever make it off the showroom floor.

If you don't have the ability to rebuild it, then yes.

If it's still charging normally I'd just ignore the noise, pick up a spare, & run the old one it until it self destructs. Sometimes they can chirp for years ... and other times 100 miles. It's a crapshoot.

Is the theory as easy as opening it up and packing the bearings with high temp grease? Granted, it's probably a little more involved than that but....

** Going to order a new one but I''m also going to look into this. Thank you for your help.

They're double-sealed (meaning both sides) - once they reach this stage, you toss them & install new ones. If your not mechanically inclined, I'd highly recommend just replacing the alternator - it's much easier.

What I do with the new bearings is carefully pick out the seal, flush the factory grease out, & pack it with my own grease. This way they last more than 2 years. They really skimp on the grease these days. Try to steer clear of Chinese bearings if you go that route.

Here's a good site for parts & instruction: http://www.alternatorparts.com/

When looking at my current alternator, the only thing I can see stamped onto it is Delphi Automotive.

I ordered a new Gatorback belt for my truck and ordered the Gatorback part number based the part number printed on my old belt (looked up the length specs of the old belt). The Gatorback part number is 4060922.

Is there any way to know the amperage of my alternator based on this? I don't want to have to buy another belt.

Archived