Skid Plates

the factory ones are OK nothing that special but better than nothing. I have yet to see any other skidplates for these trucks to buy other than ones that work only with lift kits, if anyone has a source i'd love to know as well

• 8 months later...

One other question how many skid plates are there for our trucks? There is the front Plastice "skidplate" then the front diff one that they call the oil pan skid plate, I heard there was one other one is that correct?

There's a metal one under the engine, and another under the transfer case, I haven't really looked but i remember seeing them when I was working on the truck a few weeks ago so there's at least 2

Is that a metal one or plastic? I have a plastic one on there now it looks like.

I'll check tonight but I thought it was metal but I can't say I pay that stuff much attention these days- living in an apartment I can't do my own oil changes now so I don't crawl under there as much as I once did.

The GMT-800 ones were aluminum. Basically more cosmetic than functional. If you screwed up and put the floor jack under it, it would bend up towards the engine (so obviously the skid plate couldn't handle the weight of the truck).

• 4 weeks later...

Dodn't know manufactor but thete is a company that does skid plates and brush guards for the police package tahoe, the underside should be same as your truck. Just call any police equipmemt installer in your area or,local dealer through fleet dept. Should be able to.find what your looking for, and they are very heavy duty.

The one under the gas tank is plastic. The one on my '07 ripped in half on a snow drift, driving on the highway at night, in a blizzard. I just took the whole thing off.

Apparently my new one has skid plates(all terrain pkg) . I looked underneath, but doesnt look like anything special

The one under the gas tank is plastic. The one on my '07 ripped in half on a snow drift, driving on the highway at night, in a blizzard. I just took the whole thing off.

Apparently my new one has skid plates(all terrain pkg) . I looked underneath, but doesnt look like anything special

My '12 SLT with the all terrain package has the EXACT same plastic piece you are talking about. Went over a ice/snow rut on our wonderful streets in Saskatoon and it snapped off a chunk. Thank god it was hanging by a thread and I was able to take it off and JB weld the cheap POS because a new one comes with a price tag of $287.00 up here.

Haha yep. Im in Regina. I took it in to the shop, found out the price, and proceeded to pull the whole thing off. It was just this winter and i traded it off like a month later.

Mine ripped off on the double lane between stoon and regina.

Did you see our streets this winter? I swear they only plowed them 5 times.

We are the same way. They never plowed the residential areas at all this winter unless there was at least 3ft of snow on the street. Pot holes EVERYWHERE. Now the city is filling most with gravel. Still trying to figure out though how the people who pay $1500 a year in property taxes are getting their roads fixed before us in our neighborhood which is $4500 a year.

• 4 months later...

I have a 2001 which only has the side skid plate, one of the side mounting tabs broke off

Any ideas how to repair? (See black dots in image below) I believe this is the HDPE part of the tank.

JB weld won't stick, can't find a similar material to use with low heat solder iron to fuse

Thanks!

mdBBBQdQlhStofmhZ2-jWLA.jpg

Archived