u.s towing regulations?

uchi

i checked the usdot site but havent found my answer yet, thought this would make a good topic to have in here.

what are the regulations for towing through the u.s for us canadian guys? a friend of mine said to me the other day every trailer needs a weight distributing hitch, but then you get in to the tongue weights and what the truck can safely handle, etc etc, does anyone know the specifics and laws regarding this kind of stuff?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watch your speeds with a trailer. Some states have 2 speed limits, like California is 70 MPH for regular autos and 55 MPH for towing

good to know thanks, i just dont want to head down on the trip and end up coming home with several thousand in fines. would my door sticker have the max weight i can tow behind my truck or do i have to check my owners manual for that? truck is an 09 sierra crew cab short box z71 with the tow package and a 6 spd with the 5.3

For regular towing, non commercial that is. If you are pulled over, it will be for things like debris flying, chains dragging, or straps dragging, also speeding. If they pull you over They will probably check hitch security, safety chains, and tire safety

Hopefully they'll see your license plate and realize you not from the country and be a little less hard on you. I've always questioned the window tint laws and if they apply to people from different places if we have no law

Traveling they wont as long as they dont completely obstruct your view. Unless you piss the officer off and they decide to look for things

Never heard of anyone being checked per GVWR or GCWR for non-commercial towing in the US. I could imagine tire checks, or being stopped for something that looks obviously dangerous to others, but not for a scale weigh-in. As stated above, states regulate non-commercial vehicles, and the USDOT regulates commercial transport (both inter and intra-state). The USDOT will pull over / check commercial trucks, or those that look like they should be, but not RVs.

Exactly, I've been pulled over by California Highway Patrol while towing a 10k pound travel trailer with my truck.Noting was said about the weight, it was for a light and I was let go because I was around the corner from my destination, which was the RV repair shop.

If you don't have a WD/anti sway hitch you need one because it is the safe thing to do, especially if you are towing a long distance. If you go the legal 55mph (that's where I tow) semi truck s WILL be passing you and your going to need WD and anti-sway.

It won't be a fun vacation otherwise.

Archived