How to tell when AFM is activated?

I bought my '09 Silverado CCSB Z71 a little over 2 months ago, and I have yet to see/hear/feel the AFM kick in. I was wondering if there is an indicator of some kind to let you know it's been activated?

I have a MBRP dual exhaust and sometimes when on the highway, after coasting or while using the cruise, when I step on the gas I can hear something happening through the exhaust. It's like a drone sound until the RPMs come up, either through down shift or gradually accelerating.

BTW, I have the LC9 engine, MYC transmission. Also have RPO "SAB".

Check in the DIC, the buttons on the left of the wheel on the dash. Push the top button until you see the "instant" MPG and next to it will say V8, or V4 whenever it is in one of those.

I bought my '09 Silverado CCSB Z71 a little over 2 months ago, and I have yet to see/hear/feel the AFM kick in. I was wondering if there is an indicator of some kind to let you know it's been activated?

I have a MBRP dual exhaust and sometimes when on the highway, after coasting or while using the cruise, when I step on the gas I can hear something happening through the exhaust. It's like a drone sound until the RPMs come up, either through down shift or gradually accelerating.

Consider yourself lucky.. i feel it switch back and forth ALL THE TIME! mostly between 30-45 mph.

Agree with JDub.. check your DIC "Instant MPG"

I have a 2010 crew cab LC9 with corsa exhaust. Switch the DIC to instant economy (or whatever its called) and it will show v8 or v4 above the mpg. That cruising and you step on it and hear the drone before the rpms go up is it going from V4 to V8. Mine does it too. I can't tell my AFM kicked in unless I hear that noise when it's coming back to V8 or unless I look at the DIC. I can't feel it and wonder if those who do have something wrong.

Appreciate that info. Honestly, I never pay attention to mileage, so I would have never seen this!

Drove the highway home last night and the exhaust drone definitely coincides with the switch from V4 to V8, and V4 has a totally different tone to the exhaust.

I would love to, but $550 seems like a lot of money for what you get...

Not really, you get to keep the AutoCal and you get a tune custom tailored to your wants, not a canned tune. My truck feels totally different from stock, I could tell the first 500 feet that I drove it after the BBPTune. I asked to have the AFM off and the engine and trans cleaned and you can tell. The throttle and trans is right there when needed and no annoying V8/V4 kicking in and out. IMO get a BBP tune and don't look back!

Archived