GM Belt replacement standard ???

Beer Belly

Question

I was checking under the hood, and noticed my A/C Belt looked like it need to be replaced. My Wife said "No it doesn't it"....I told her fine, we'll bring it to the dealer for an Oil Change and see what they say (figure I know what I'm talking about).....they said "Supertine Belt is fine"....i told them "What about the A/C Belt"....they told me "The Tech sez there is only one belt".....I tried to tell him, "No, there are 2 belts"...he insisted his tech knows.....to shorten it up, we when got home from our trip, I brought it in for the Service Manager to look at.....he told me that "GM has a standard on belt wear.....need a minimum of 5 cracks per inch to need replacement....unless it's cracked all the way across"....to all you GM Techs.....is this true ???....he told me "the belt is fine, but may want to replace it soon"

DSCN2251.jpg

11 answers to this question

I say screw them and just go to your local auto parts store. Spend $12 and 12 minutes (if that) for the peace of mind.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I thought he was full of poop....never heard such a thing. I should go and ask to see a copy of the Service Bulliten if there is one. I've had issues the last 3 visits I've had, they are usually pretty good, but the last 3 trips always had me bringing the truck back for them to fix it right.....might have to find somewhere else to go.....coming up on 86,000 miles....all original Belts

I say, ask them to bring you a new belt so you can compare side by side, then choke the hell out of the service advisor with it, then beat the tech with the belt, then hand it to a different tech and ask him to change it! :smash: Seriously though, it definitely needs to be changed. If you don't like my advice lol then I would just do it myself or take it to another dealer. Any GM dealer can/will/should do that.

I had to change my 2008 Sierra's AC belt at 42k miles when it was only 2 years old.

From Gates:

As a rule, if three or more cracks appear in a three-inch section of a belt, eighty percent of the life is gone and the belt should be replaced.

This is from Dayco:

Over the past two decades, Dayco has maintained that serpentine belts should be replaced when an inspection revealed 4 cracks per inch, chunking, rib glazing, backside wear or splitting. Using these criteria, identifying worn serpentine belts was a straightforward process. The belts in this time frame were made from Neoprene compound and were expected to last approximately 50,000 to 80,000 miles.

Today’s belts are now made with an EPDM extended-life rubber compound. These EPDM constructed belts wear completely different than Neoprene, and can last up to 100,000 miles. EPDM belt wear can be difficult to detect because the belts tend to wear like a tire, i.e., there is a material loss from the ribs. A new EPDM belt will have a traditional “V” profile in the ribs. With worn EPDM belts however, the “V” profile has the appearance of a “U” instead, because of the material lost from the rib. Once the rib profile is changed, there is less material (and therefore less surface area) coming into contact with the pulleys. This material loss can cause slippage that will affect the performance of the accessories and possibly result in an annoying noisy belt.

Not sure I understand this, you suggested to your wife that maybe it is time to replace the belt, she said no, belt is fine. You then went to a dealer, where they agreed with your wife. Then you went to another dealer, and they also said belt was fine. Your truck is not under any warranty, you wanted two dealers to recommend a new belt, and both refused to believe that you wanted to buy a belt from them and have them install it? And then you post a pic of the belt here, and the pic looks like the belt has been to a war and back, even having picked up the rust stains from the pullies. I am not sure if those two dealers were doing you a favour by not letting you buy a belt.

How was the trip home sitting next to your wife giving you the "see, I told you the belt was fine" look all the way back?

Not sure I understand this, you suggested to your wife that maybe it is time to replace the belt, she said no, belt is fine. You then went to a dealer, where they agreed with your wife. Then you went to another dealer, and they also said belt was fine. Your truck is not under any warranty, you wanted two dealers to recommend a new belt, and both refused to believe that you wanted to buy a belt from them and have them install it? And then you post a pic of the belt here, and the pic looks like the belt has been to a war and back, even having picked up the rust stains from the pullies. I am not sure if those two dealers were doing you a favour by not letting you buy a belt.

How was the trip home sitting next to your wife giving you the "see, I told you the belt was fine" look all the way back?

Same dealer....just had the Tech look at it, then the Service writer backed the tech.....got home and showed it to the Service Manager who agreed with all....including my Wife....yes, I was going to replace it myself, or my Wife may of said "What the heck, it's here, do it"....they lost a parts sale at the very least, and a little of my confidence. Seems like Debo 511 has found that they are NOT full of poop.....although I was talking about the A/C Belt

"Dayco has maintained that serpentine belts should be replaced when an inspection revealed 4 cracks per inch, chunking, rib glazing, backside wear or splitting. Using these criteria, identifying worn serpentine belts was a straightforward process. The belts in this time frame were made from Neoprene compound and were expected to last approximately 50,000 to 80,000 miles."

Archived