Rough Idle / engine vibration on Idle Seirra 2008 vortec 5.3

mike66

Purchased my 1st truck GMC seirra 2008 5.3 vortec. When stopped I nolticed that the idle is very rough, and the truck almost shakes, its worse in the mornings, no codes on display , took it to a shop here in calgary and they did a throttle body service , still no difference , booked it for a check up with the dealer next week, truck is under power train warranty, any tips or knowledge on this topic would be appreciated is this is normal with this type of model ?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I too have had this problem and Saturday I recieved a letter from Chevrolet. The second paragraph addresses the problem.

"This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2008 model year Chevrolet Silverado vehicles, equipped with a V8 engine, may have a condition where the throttle position sensor may cause the engine to run rough and cause the malfuntion indicator lamp and/or an Engine Reduced Power message to illuminate. If this occurs, it could result in reduced engine power."

I have had the Engine Reduced Power message 3x last year in cold weather never in above 50 degree temperature. Rough idle, yes. More disturbing is the sudden jump in acceleration from a stop. I do not mean unintended out of control acceleration, just a lag between peddle input and response. And the response is like a step function.

@ mike66

My truck is 07 Sierra 5.3. I've experienced rough idle too.

And sometimes spluttering while accelerating.

I checked and changed the spark plugs and the truck runs fine again.

And the lifter ticking I could hear before was fixed as well. Turned out to be a lose plug... :rolleyes: .

Maybe is worth it to check on your plugs and wires before you give it to the dealer for big bucks.

so long

j-ten-ner

Archived