Denali 4wd conversion - whats involved?

What do you mean? Like change it from AWD?

Exactly. I don't know why they don't offer it in a selectable 4wd, but you can get it in RWD only. I don't need AWD all year. I would be interested if there is a way to get selectable 4wd.

I know that the front differential on a selectable 4WD truck has a disengagement device. When you select either 4WD or 2WD a servo moves a mechanism to engage or disengage the axle. So, at the very least, the front diff and x-fer case needs to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have to confess. The real reason I asked the question was more about the GMC Safari AWD van. GM doesn't make a 4wd selectable van, but they do make an AWD GMC in the 1500 Safari. My guess is that they replicated the basic AWD in the Denali except the engine is a 5.3L.

I was considering a 4wd van for my hunt vehicle. And yes, I know about the Sportsmobile and the Quigley conversions. They are $17K and $11.5K respectively. The AWD van option is $3.5K. A X-fer case and front diff and all the fixins from the boneyard might be less than $1K. It is likely mostly a bolt-in job. Still it's labor. And, with the aftermarket mods, you can do it to a 2500 or 3500 for about the same cost. ...decisions, decisions...

Archived