2003 Silverado Tailgate Issues

highroller152

Question

Hi all,

So I was really thinking this was going to be an easy one - but then again, Custer thought he was going to be fine too...

Anyhow, the left latch on the tailgate will open to allow for me to open the tailgate, but it does not reset itself. So it stays in the open position so if you try to close the tailgate, the latch just bounces against the tailgate striker bolt. You have to pull the handle open and manually fiddle with the latch to get it to open up to close the tailgate. I suspect a spring in the latch is probably shot. Simple enough - just buy a new latch, right? Well, for the life of me I have been unable to find a p/n for that latch let alone what the latch is actually called. See, if you do a search for tailgate latch pretty much all that comes up are references and images of the handle. I don't need the handle, I need the driver's side latch assembly.

Can anyone help me out?

V/R

Highroller

7 answers to this question

That's what we're here for....glad I could help :D

Just a few pointers.....be very careful removing that bezel on the outside of the tailgate and with the plastic clips holding the rods to the latch and handle. If you happen to break any of that stuff you can find all of it in the "help" section at most auto parts stores.

@bossier62guy: Thank you very much! I'll do some digging on that and see if that gets me any further. Seemed like every time I did a search for anything dealing with tailgate and latch, all that came up was the handle.

@8.1HD/ALLISON: Thank you for your suggestion. We took it apart yesterday and the return spring is missing. I only wish WD-40 and duct tape could fix that :\

Have a great day fellas and merry Christmas!

Update: bossier62guy hit the nail on the head. $75 on eBay, $115 @ the stealership. All over a broken spring. Oh well.

I did have one question: has anyone replaced the latch before? This is all for my father in law and he called me all excited to replace the latch but was having issues getting it in. So he is coming by this weekend and I told him that we'd get er done then. Are there any exploded parts views that anyone can point me at? I've done a bunch of googleing but all I keep ending up with is how to fix the handle or the pull-rods in the handle (although everyone keeps wanting to refer to that handle as the latch... very frustrating).

Anyhow, thanks for any help.

V/R

Highroller

Archived