The "big four" survival guns are:

I prefer lever or bolt action .22's. I don't see much point to a 10/22, as it's significantly larger and no more accurate than a Marlin 39A for example. An old Marlin can be found pretty cheap, and the quality of the older ones is much better than the current guns.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with most that you said. But a good quality AR with good mags is basically maintenance free. My AR runs better than my AK. My AR is consistently shot 2-4 thousand rounds between cleaning. It could go longer I bet. Not to mention it is the most commonly sold rifle in America now.

I prefer lever or bolt action .22's. I don't see much point to a 10/22, as it's significantly larger and no more accurate than a Marlin 39A for example. An old Marlin can be found pretty cheap, and the quality of the older ones is much better than the current guns.

I have a Remington 514 that I'd feel comfortable bugging out with. Unfortunately, you're right about the quality of older guns being better than newer ones. Newer metallurgy and manufacturing techniques might make some firearms better than ever, but to me old fashioned steel and wood just feels right. maybe that's why all my "cool-guy" rifles are gone now, but the old bolt-actions ain't going anywhere. :D

I agree with most that you said. But a good quality AR with good mags is basically maintenance free. My AR runs better than my AK. My AR is consistently shot 2-4 thousand rounds between cleaning. It could go longer I bet. Not to mention it is the most commonly sold rifle in America now.

It's good to have faith in your weapon of choice. My old Bushmaster was a good rifle, but I feel better knowing that it takes a lot more to damage or permanently disable an old bolt-action. I guess the media and gun-grabbers inadvertently helped propell the AR to its current sales status. Funny how that works. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I could Agree to all the guns listed.

And I can understand the point of any S/A with detach box mag in center fire cal of choice could work, any .22LR could work, and any reliable shotty could work, and that the glock can be substituted for a variety of service proven s/a hand guns..

I think the main guns highlighted have there merrits though..

AR-15 - the 350 small block of the gun world..

10/22 - I have one, and reliable with the right ammo, such as CCI MiniMags, but with the bulk fed/blazer ammo I do have issues, so ammo is a factor in a Semi-Auto .22LR. A bolt action mag fed 22LR with a 4X scope would be my preferred rabbit/ small game rifle to a 10/22. IE.. Savage MK2.

870- Reliable.. hands down no questions, you cannot dispute it. However the Mossberg 590A1 is the only true milspec pump gun around, and should be mentioned.

Glock 19.. Um.. Glocks are glocks.. I prefer my S&W MP 40 to glocks for personal fit reasons, also I have a 9mm barrel and mags for it, so I can shoot either round fairly quick depending on whats available in SHTF.

Those out there knocking the AR for take down power.. well there are issues with it.. plain and simple .223/5.56mm is a small round, I dont care if its 77gr SMK's outta a proper twist barrel theirs still only so much knock down on it. But the Original Post didn't specify only a 5.56mm/.223cal AR. And this is where I believe the Armalite 15 excels over any other Semi- Automatic rifle in the world. Swap uppers.. 6.5mm Grendel = .260ish, 6.8mm SPC rem is approx .272cal. So, the pull of two pins and now you have a rifle thats capable of taking about any game in North America.. HUMANELY. I know a 5.56mm can kill anything with the correct shot placement.. I'm just saying a lil more knockdown power for a clean kill is very nice for the average shooter.

Current stable.. College funds limited.

Sears Roebuck single shot 22LR.

RRA 5.56mm AR-15- lots of improvements. Troy Alpha rail, QD Swivels, MS3 Sling, Leupold 3x9, nikon M223 mount, Some lightening of the front with blueing to match, bi-pod, Butt plate with sling attachment points.

M&P40 with 9mm barrel n mags

Mossberg 20ga Bolt action shotty.

Stoeger M3000 12Ga

Ruger 10/22 with 4X scope

Savage MK2 with 3x9 scope - .22LR

Savage 111 in .243 3x9 scope

Tikka T3 S/S Laminate .270WSM with 4.5x14 scope

Archived