The "big four" survival guns are:

I'll sit on my hill and pick them off with the .30-06, then switch to the AR, then 887. Hopefully that will do it, I don't wanna break out the 9mm. If all else fails I'll run them through the combine! :lol:

I always thought a nice DOT snowplow would work. The ones you miss with the front plow can be clipped with the wing blade :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoping to get my hands on either a Barrett M107 or M82A1 .50 BMG edition not the .416. That'll be a few years though. I think they made a very limited amount of M107's for civilians so it will probably be expensive lol.

Just me, but I would avoid putting a list of the firearms you own on the interwebs in these scary times. Big brother is watching. So are thieves.

IMO, check out a .308 instead. Not quite as powerful, but much more plentiful if SHTF. Unless you already have one.. Then carry on :D

Do you like the SR40? I have a friend looking into one.

I do it's become my primary semi-auto. We originally bought it because we had so much .40 brass from going to the range picking up brass. Dad figured with that much brass might as well put it to good use and get a gun that shoots it so we could start reloading it. If you like Ruger's new SR line the SR40 is nice. Great thing is if your friend doesn't like it there are other options out there. Maybe one of S&W's M&P pistols?

There are tons of good options for the poly frame pistols. I'm quite fond of my Glock but once I get the trigger done on my HK I do think it may be my new carry gun. It's a tad slimmer, plus HKs are Jack Bauer approved. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it's become my primary semi-auto. We originally bought it because we had so much .40 brass from going to the range picking up brass. Dad figured with that much brass might as well put it to good use and get a gun that shoots it so we could start reloading it. If you like Ruger's new SR line the SR40 is nice. Great thing is if your friend doesn't like it there are other options out there. Maybe one of S&W's M&P pistols?

Thanks! He has an M&P9 already. Great guns. I'm not a fan of the trigger reset (or lack there of). If I couldn't have a Glock, I'd have an M&P9. The thing I love about .40 is that it is always in stock at walmart.

I should be good to go I think...

S&W MP 15-22

AR-15 (Aimpoint red dot)

AR-15 (Nikon M-223 scope)

DPMS LR-308 (Iron sights for now, trijicon ACOG on way next month)

870 Tactical 12g

Benelli Nova 12g

Tristar semi-auto 12g

S&W MP40c

S&W MP Shield 40

Para-Ordnance PT10-45

And right at 8000 rounds of ammo.

Thanks! He has an M&P9 already. Great guns. I'm not a fan of the trigger reset (or lack there of). If I couldn't have a Glock, I'd have an M&P9. The thing I love about .40 is that it is always in stock at walmart.

My buddy has the M&P 9 pro and the regular M&P 45 as well as a shield. He really likes the M&P line. If your friend already has the 9 I'd just suggest staying with the M&P then he doesn't have to worry about learning a different trigger.

I think the only glock I'll ever own (meant buy with my own money, I'll accept as a gift probably) is a 10mm since they seem to be the only one that can do a 10mm cheap AND reliable. From what I've gathered doing a few googles is that glock is pretty much it for the >$1k 10mm selection. I think 40 is usually in stock I don't really check all that much as I cheat and just reload for all my pistols.

My buddy has the M&P 9 pro and the regular M&P 45 as well as a shield. He really likes the M&P line. If your friend already has the 9 I'd just suggest staying with the M&P then he doesn't have to worry about learning a different trigger.

I think the only glock I'll ever own (meant buy with my own money, I'll accept as a gift probably) is a 10mm since they seem to be the only one that can do a 10mm cheap AND reliable. From what I've gathered doing a few googles is that glock is pretty much it for the >$1k 10mm selection. I think 40 is usually in stock I don't really check all that much as I cheat and just reload for all my pistols.

I'm of a similar school of thought with Glocks, I got mine because it is among the few truly carry friendly pistols in 357 Sig. I like the round but Sig's own offerings of a similar pistol to my G32 are bulkier. I love my Sigs, I have three and wouldn't hesitate to get more but I'd love a HK USP in 357 Sig too at some point. I was a bit of a skeptic at first but I've come to really like the Glock pistols, just nothing else appeals to me really.

• 1 month later...

AR-15, Glock 19, Remington 870 and Ruger 10/22

Found this on a survival type forum and I really can't argue with it at all.

Glad to say I have got it covered....except I prefer my Glocks in .40 caliber.

All my local stores are sold out of the "big four" except for the 870.

Those are all great choices, but I'd reckon the "survival type forum" caters to SHTF types. None of those would be ideal choices for everybody in every situation. What follows is my opinion, and I know that all of us have our own thoughts on this, so I'd love some constructive criticism.

Survivalist's Choice -- AR-15: a great military rifle/carbine, but hardly a rugged "everyman's rifle", and most are chambered for what is arguably a minimal hunting cartridge. I know some who have claimed to hunt deer with .223/5.56, but I think most of us would prefer a better game round. Also, the design needs more maintenance and cleaning than bolt-actions and most other semi-auto rifles. While the cartridge itself is readily available right now (especially to those fringe "preppers" who think they'll be going against the Gummint), magazines and replacement parts will also need to be available. The M-16 is more than adequate on the batttlefield, but after eleven years in the Army I've seen more than my share break. Without support and supply chains, a broken AR-15 is only a marginally effective club. One thing I used to notice when I ventured into some of the more extreme survivalist forums was the propensity some members had to choose the AR based on some disillusionment that they'd have a steady supply of ammo, mags, and parts from the "battlefield". If that's the case, why spend so much on an AR when you can just pry the M4 out of some fallen Soldier's hands?

My Choice -- .308 bolt-action: the .308 is hardly a rare cartridge (and on the off-chance that the aforementioned doomsday scenario happens, it is still in use with US and NATO military forces). and it is a popular round for most North American hunters, with a wide array of hunting, target, and military surplus ammo available. Bolt-actions tend to be more rugged and reliable than most semi-autos, and can withstand more abuse as well (lengthy periods between cleanings, being dropped, etc). I'd want a few spare firing pins and extractors, but otherwise I'd feel well-armed with my Enfield carbine. Twelve rounds of .308 in one of the fastest bolt actions ever devised would be great. If I had to choose a semi-auto, I'd want my old FAL back. That thing was a beast, and never failed me during the few years and many rounds I put through it.

Survivialist's Choice -- Glock 19: I can't argue that the Glock is one of the most reliable and proven semi-auto designs out there. I just didn't like the feel of the ones I've handled. As for the 9mm cartridge, I can't even try to play Devil's Advocate and dismiss it for the sake of argument. I've always felt comfortable carrying a 9mm, and I've stated elsewhere that the 9x19mm Parabellum's performance in war and "peace" is admirable. Ammunition is fairly widespread, and Glock magazines are a pretty common sight everywhere from mom and pop hardware stores to big box sporting good stores. So, good choice, just not for me.

My Choice -- a 4" .357 revolver: In a pinch, full power .357 Magnum rounds can take a deer, and one also has the option of using .38 Special when magnum ammo isn't available or if the extra power is unneeded. Ammunition is common in most places in the US, and a quality revolver should have no reliability or accuracy issues. Also, magazines are a non-issue, though this also means slower reloads. It all boils down to individual taste, and I've grown partial to revolvers over the past couple of years.

Survivalist's Choice -- Remington 870: okay, I can't even try to argue this one. Single and double barrel shotguns are more reliable but otherwise lack any real advantage over a good pump-action, and the 870 is one of the best pump-action designs out there. The military and law enforcement have both used and abused them, and I've yet to hear much bad about Remington's most popular design.

My Choice -- Mossberg 590: The only Remington I have, a Sportsman 48, would be nowhere near as good. The Winchester 1200 is a good gun, but I think I'd have to choose my Mossberg 590 for this one. Reliable, 12 gauge, and fairly common (at least the 500, which shares many of it's parts, is). Still, the Remington would probably beat out the Mossberg if I had one. :(

Survivalist's Choice -- Ruger 10/22: another example of personal preference. Ruger's design is one of the most popular .22 long rifle designs period, and is widely considered to be the best semi-auto .22 rifle. As such, about he only argument I have with this (besides the fact that I don't own a 10/22 yet ;)) is that of space. Frankly, I'm out surviving. If I'm in a homestead or camp I can place my firearms somewhere. If I'm in a vehicle they're no big deal. If I'm on foot, though, I'm already carrying two long guns. So, at the risk of nit-picking (along with some petty jealousy that none of my numerous .22s are stamped "Ruger")...

My Choice -- Marlin "Papoose": my AR-7 is tempting, but it just feels insignificant and awkward despite being designed as a survival rifle for downed pilots. Stilll, the takedown/floating feature appeals to me, so when I got my Papoose a few years ago, it became my "go-to" survival rifle. In keeping with my lackluster argument against the 10/22, it is easily packable and can be strapped to the side of a pack. In a worst-case scenario it is lightweight and small enough (especially when broken down) to grab and go. When dealing with water, well, did i mention it floats so long as it is in the case? As a stowaway gun to keep in the truck, the Marlin can hardly be beat as its case protects it from damage and it is small enough to take up little space. The case is also roomy enough for a few boxes of ammo, and I keep both subsonic and regular ammo with the gun.

Anyway, my choices aren't for everyone, and as you can see my main exception to the "survivalist's choices" is the AR-15. In all honesty, I think that the 870 and 10/22 would fall into most gun owners' "best of" or "go-to" lists--at the very least they'd be among the top choices for their category. Still, I've seen far too many of these types of threads to keep my hands away from the keyboard.

Those are all great choices, but I'd reckon the "survival type forum" caters to SHTF types. None of those would be ideal choices for everybody in every situation. What follows is my opinion, and I know that all of us have our own thoughts on this, so I'd love some constructive criticism.

Survivalist's Choice -- AR-15: a great military rifle/carbine, but hardly a rugged "everyman's rifle", and most are chambered for what is arguably a minimal hunting cartridge. I know some who have claimed to hunt deer with .223/5.56, but I think most of us would prefer a better game round. Also, the design needs more maintenance and cleaning than bolt-actions and most other semi-auto rifles. While the cartridge itself is readily available right now (especially to those fringe "preppers" who think they'll be going against the Gummint), magazines and replacement parts will also need to be available. The M-16 is more than adequate on the batttlefield, but after eleven years in the Army I've seen more than my share break. Without support and supply chains, a broken AR-15 is only a marginally effective club. One thing I used to notice when I ventured into some of the more extreme survivalist forums was the propensity some members had to choose the AR based on some disillusionment that they'd have a steady supply of ammo, mags, and parts from the "battlefield". If that's the case, why spend so much on an AR when you can just pry the M4 out of some fallen Soldier's hands?

My Choice -- .308 bolt-action: the .308 is hardly a rare cartridge (and on the off-chance that the aforementioned doomsday scenario happens, it is still in use with US and NATO military forces). and it is a popular round for most North American hunters, with a wide array of hunting, target, and military surplus ammo available. Bolt-actions tend to be more rugged and reliable than most semi-autos, and can withstand more abuse as well (lengthy periods between cleanings, being dropped, etc). I'd want a few spare firing pins and extractors, but otherwise I'd feel well-armed with my Enfield carbine. Twelve rounds of .308 in one of the fastest bolt actions ever devised would be great. If I had to choose a semi-auto, I'd want my old FAL back. That thing was a beast, and never failed me during the few years and many rounds I put through it.

Survivialist's Choice -- Glock 19: I can't argue that the Glock is one of the most reliable and proven semi-auto designs out there. I just didn't like the feel of the ones I've handled. As for the 9mm cartridge, I can't even try to play Devil's Advocate and dismiss it for the sake of argument. I've always felt comfortable carrying a 9mm, and I've stated elsewhere that the 9x19mm Parabellum's performance in war and "peace" is admirable. Ammunition is fairly widespread, and Glock magazines are a pretty common sight everywhere from mom and pop hardware stores to big box sporting good stores. So, good choice, just not for me.

My Choice -- a 4" .357 revolver: In a pinch, full power .357 Magnum rounds can take a deer, and one also has the option of using .38 Special when magnum ammo isn't available or if the extra power is unneeded. Ammunition is common in most places in the US, and a quality revolver should have no reliability or accuracy issues. Also, magazines are a non-issue, though this also means slower reloads. It all boils down to individual taste, and I've grown partial to revolvers over the past couple of years.

Survivalist's Choice -- Remington 870: okay, I can't even try to argue this one. Single and double barrel shotguns are more reliable but otherwise lack any real advantage over a good pump-action, and the 870 is one of the best pump-action designs out there. The military and law enforcement have both used and abused them, and I've yet to hear much bad about Remington's most popular design.

My Choice -- Mossberg 590: The only Remington I have, a Sportsman 48, would be nowhere near as good. The Winchester 1200 is a good gun, but I think I'd have to choose my Mossberg 590 for this one. Reliable, 12 gauge, and fairly common (at least the 500, which shares many of it's parts, is). Still, the Remington would probably beat out the Mossberg if I had one. :(

Survivalist's Choice -- Ruger 10/22: another example of personal preference. Ruger's design is one of the most popular .22 long rifle designs period, and is widely considered to be the best semi-auto .22 rifle. As such, about he only argument I have with this (besides the fact that I don't own a 10/22 yet ;)) is that of space. Frankly, I'm out surviving. If I'm in a homestead or camp I can place my firearms somewhere. If I'm in a vehicle they're no big deal. If I'm on foot, though, I'm already carrying two long guns. So, at the risk of nit-picking (along with some petty jealousy that none of my numerous .22s are stamped "Ruger")...

My Choice -- Marlin "Papoose": my AR-7 is tempting, but it just feels insignificant and awkward despite being designed as a survival rifle for downed pilots. Stilll, the takedown/floating feature appeals to me, so when I got my Papoose a few years ago, it became my "go-to" survival rifle. In keeping with my lackluster argument against the 10/22, it is easily packable and can be strapped to the side of a pack. In a worst-case scenario it is lightweight and small enough (especially when broken down) to grab and go. When dealing with water, well, did i mention it floats so long as it is in the case? As a stowaway gun to keep in the truck, the Marlin can hardly be beat as its case protects it from damage and it is small enough to take up little space. The case is also roomy enough for a few boxes of ammo, and I keep both subsonic and regular ammo with the gun.

Anyway, my choices aren't for everyone, and as you can see my main exception to the "survivalist's choices" is the AR-15. In all honesty, I think that the 870 and 10/22 would fall into most gun owners' "best of" or "go-to" lists--at the very least they'd be among the top choices for their category. Still, I've seen far too many of these types of threads to keep my hands away from the keyboard.

Excellent points. And because I find it fun to throw a wrench in things sometimes, what about the 10/22 take down version? Other than the floating (I don't think it floats) it makes your other, for a lack of a better word, "negative" points moot. The not owning a 22 with a Ruger on it still stands I guess.

Excellent points. And because I find it fun to throw a wrench in things sometimes, what about the 10/22 take down version? Other than the floating (I don't think it floats) it makes your other, for a lack of a better word, "negative" points moot. The not owning a 22 with a Ruger on it still stands I guess.

I've been away from the gun magazines and internet for awhile. Now that you mention it I think I heard of this, and you make an excellent point. If there is a take-down version of what is widely considered the "best" .22 rifle, I'm all for it. Marlin is no slouch when it comes to quality firearms either though, so price would be definite factor if/when I start looking at 10/22s.

I've been away from the gun magazines and internet for awhile. Now that you mention it I think I heard of this, and you make an excellent point. If there is a take-down version of what is widely considered the "best" .22 rifle, I'm all for it. Marlin is no slouch when it comes to quality firearms either though, so price would be definite factor if/when I start looking at 10/22s.

Forgot about price. Just looked it up the MSRP and it's a bit more than I'd spend (399 or 419 depending which version) especially in today's stupid buying frenzy market where people seem more than willing to pay MSRP or more for a firearm product. Buddy's dad has one I'll have to remember to ask him how he likes it next time I see him.

Forgot about price. Just looked it up the MSRP and it's a bit more than I'd spend (399 or 419 depending which version) especially in today's stupid buying frenzy market where people seem more than willing to pay MSRP or more for a firearm product. Buddy's dad has one I'll have to remember to ask him how he likes it next time I see him.

That MSRP is more than I paid for the AR-7 and Papoose combined ($165 and $180 respectively).

Archived