Just curious, Anyone else out there have a 17 HMR? I have a Savage 93 model and LOVE it. Only thing I never cared for was the 5 round magazines, but I just got some 10 round mags I found online. Anyone else have one, whats your thoughts? Also what do you shoot? I usually stick with Hornadys 17 grain varmit express, bolistic tip. I also use 20 grain CCI soft points, depending on what I am hunting.

I have a Marlin and it is accurate and fun but I couldn't justify it on any basis except just to have one. With the ammo price, I can reload something better for the same or less price.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently got a Shilen 17 HMR barrel for my Ruger 77/22 Mag, actually got it last Winter. I held off until then. It's my favorite round for more serious pest control, possum sized varmints. I used it on a few.

I'd like to get back to a SD prairie dog town, been about 6 years. My plan was to use it there some too.

I hope your buddy doesn't tell the parks guys about shooting deer with it, lol. I think the ammo price is somewhere around .223 prices depending on where you are. Right now .17 and .22 aren't that far apart. I was at Cabelas checking out new rimfires and they had exactly the gun I wanted in .17 (savage), but no .17 or .22 ammo. I had someone offer me a Hoyt bow for a box of .22 the other day :lol:

I hope your buddy doesn't tell the parks guys about shooting deer with it, lol. I think the ammo price is somewhere around .223 prices depending on where you are. Right now .17 and .22 aren't that far apart. I was at Cabelas checking out new rimfires and they had exactly the gun I wanted in .17 (savage), but no .17 or .22 ammo. I had someone offer me a Hoyt bow for a box of .22 the other day :lol:

Send him my way, I need a bow... :D Cabelas usally has .17 in stock online, Hornady. And they're not limited to 1 box like .22.... and free shipping to store. Cheapest .17 I can find though is >> https://www.odgreensupply.com/winchester-varmint-hv-17-hmr-50-rounds.html 2 box limit, but available. Not sure on shipping from them.

Archived