Power Lumbar Pillow Not Inflating

For the past few days my seat has felt out of position in my back. I tried to inflate the back of the seat but felt no change. Once I got home I got out of the truck and tried to do the same thing but couldn't see or feel anything happening. I hear the motor running but theres just no inflation. So to compare I went to my passenger seat to see what it would do. Pushed the button...inflated perfectly, then deflated with another button press. Decided to try it again and it inflated for a couple of seconds and I started hearing a hissing sound (my guess is air escaping) and of course now neither seat is working. The motors will run however when working properly the seat would get to max or min position and then shut off. Now the motors will continue to run as long as the button is pressed and will not shut off. My guess is that since the system is an air inflated system, both "air bags" have somehow been punctured or developed a leak, and I'm also guessing the system is built around a pressure switch which would normally cut the motors off when a certain pressure is reached. Well since the system can't build pressure the switch doesn't engage resulting in the motor continuosly running. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so what did you find out. I have an extended warranty but I'm concerned that this won't be covered. If any of you have experience taking the seat back off to gain access to the internal parts how difficult is that to do and how do you do it. Thanks in advance!

On your 08 Sierra? I didn't know they went to air lumbar, used to be a wire grid support that moved. They had springs, or the frame, that would break after time. You should be able to partially remove the seat cover to inspect from the back of the seat.

I'm not 100% sure if it's air or not since I haven't actually torn the seat apart. I'm just guessing based on the hissing noise that I heard and the way the system seems to work. I know the vehicle with power seats (like mine) have a differnt setup than the one with manual seats. My truck is an 08 SLT Z71 with the two front bucket seats and center console (no middle seat).

The warranty isn't new car as I bought the vehicle used. (well it was actually my dads that he bought new, then traded it for an '11 and I wound up buying it but added the extended coverage from Olympicare). The motor stops whenever I realease the button.

Could be a bad air hose too, from the pump to the air bag bladder, on LTZ style lumbar seats.

You would need to tear the seat down, covers, etc. to find out though.

I'm betting that "off brand" extended warranty will not cover lumbar seat parts too.... :nonod:

According to a buddy at our local parts department who pulled up everything by my VIN number this IS an air system. There is a bladder tank/pillow that inflates and deflates with air, not the wire grid. GM changed the power lumbar system in either 09 or 10 I believe and the seat backs now only have a two position system to adjust the lumbar up and down. My 08 has the old system that has 4 adjustments, lumber up and down, as well as the pillow inflated and deflated. The good news is I have spoken with the warranty company and they said that everything should be covered based on the policy I have and I just need to take it to the dealer to have it fixed. I still have my doubts about them ACTUALLY covering it but I guess we'll see. I would pop open the seat back but I'm not sure how it's secured and don't want to start breaking anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone ever needs this for future reference...After taking the vehicle to the dealer they had to replace the entire lumbar support system in each seat...Grand Total...$50 Thanks to my extended warranty which ended up covering it! After riding in the truck for a couple of days now I think the seats have been messed up for quite sometime. It doesn't even sit the same anymore, much better. Very pleased in the service of my local dealer!

Archived