Service airbag

03 2500HD 6.0 Service airbag light came on. I pulled the 2 front (only 2) sensors. Should I get some form of resistance on them? I did not plan on taking it to the dealer to have the code read if I can just ohm out the sensor. Both are not giving me anything... Anyone ever dealt with these other than taking it in or just doing a parts throw?

I figured you'd be the responder... Thanks! I did a "search" for "airbag" in this forum and 0 came up. Then searched in the 1500 side, still nothing. Googled "GM airbag sensor ohm readings" and the first 2 hits brought me back to this forum that you had given some info on last year.. Nice stuff! I may have to make a phone call and see if I can get a friend at one of the shops to give me a read.. Just more fun to figure it out in my own garage...

I did check all connections and took apart/back together ect with no luck.. Back to the original question though... Should there be a read on the 2 points of the sensor (unplugged)?

I checked ALLDATA and can not find any specs for resistance of the front impact sensor. I am thinking they would show OL on a DVOM untill they were hit hard enough. Hate to beat a dead horse, but the best thing you can do is to start with checking the code, Then follow the diagnostics for that code. I'm thinking they had bullitins for the clockspring and a loose connection near the ebrake pedal around that year. Could be numerous things.

How would the system know the sensor is hooked up without some resistance from it? Not arguing, just trying to understand. Monday I am will see about getting it scanned. Thanks!

They are a 2 wire. So your thoughts are that it is an open ciruit until impact? Makes sense, though I am not sure how one would be bad unless the airbag does not go off in an accident. Or, how a scan could detect a bad sensor. I will find out in a couple of days I guess.

Chupe, keep us posted on what the dealer tells you and what you come up with. My service air bag light came on in my '05 2500HD also. I haven't been to the dealer in years, so maybe this is the time I should. If I could get a ballpark figure on what it cost you it would be helpful in if I worry abou the light or not.

Don' t remember the ohm value. Any garage/person with an updated scan tool should be able to check for codes. I found it fairly common for the wires to rot under the floormat near the drivers sill plate. Usually on higher mileage work trucks that see lots of abuse. I have changed a bunch of front crash sensors also. All depends on the code.

OK, took it to a buddy's shop today. His reader came up with a B103 and B101 (?) code. He said it was both the front sensors. All other circuits were good but for those two. Now for both going bad at the same time this has been going on, it really doesnt matter.. I have not checked the GM parts but seems the Dormans are right around 75.00 each. Plug and go. Will more than likely pick up a couple in the next few days. Be interested to see if the new ones have any ohm value to them out of the box.

@ Captain. 175000 miles however I did pretty much pull and track all wires down. All was in pretty good shape (surprisingly).

@Kdog. If the light is on, the bags are not.. Its just me and my truck until camping season so theres no sleep lost for now (until the bags go off for no reason....) I was more concerned with them going off for no reason than them not going off when needed. A bit backwards thought for some, but you get the idea!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived