03 Silverado, No 4th/OD

Hello, To post whats happening for advise/ others input i'll start out by saying thank you in advance.

2003 Silverado, 107k miles, 5.3liter with the 4L60E trans. I've had BB tune in it for about 40k miles with no issues.

About a week ago I went to hop onto interstate and no fourth gear.. stuck in 3rd..

Shifts perfect from 1-3 and reverse

Trans fluid was correct level and pink.

Diag tool showed the pcm was trying to shift the truck, just nothing was responding, that rules out electrical.

Replaced 3rd and 4th gear solenoids and 4th's servo with a Vette Servo.. Still nothing.

Only thing myself and the trans shop could think of is the possibility of a bad clutch pack, since the bands shouldnt be that bad since I still have a really good 1-2 and 2nd n 4th are on the same band. Or possibly a cracked drum (holds the gears/ clutch packs in place) which would drop line pressure not allowing it to shift.

This did happen when it was really cold out.. but truck was operating temp.

So this leaves me to letting them rebuild and upgrade my transmission.. Price.. 1650$... anyone out there had about the similar price and or experience in there Silverados with the 4L60E?

Yea there the ones that put in the Vette Servo and changed out the solenoids. Didn't charge me anything for that r/t it not fixing anything.

The 1650 includes upgraded clutch packs 9 instead of 5, new t/c and other do dads to beef it up for towing

Try checking the shift linkage to make sure it is actually shifting all the way to Drive. When it shifts to 3rd it releases the 2-4 band and applies the 3-4 clutch. Then to go to 4th it just applies the 2-4 band. Since 3 & 4 are on the same clutch pack you can rule out a cracked drum or piston and a bad clutch. And like you said you can rule out the 2-4 servo since 2nd gear works fine. You have a loss of pressure somewhere in the 4th apply circuit in the valve body or the 1-4 solenoid is failing to actuate. This problem should be able to be fixed without R&R of the transmission. Get a DMM and a pinout of the main wiring connector and make sure the signal to actuate the 1-4 solenoid is actually making it to the trasmission. If the trans shop you are working with thinks it might be a bad clutch pack TAKE IT TO SOMEBODY ELSE!

• 4 weeks later...

Follow up report- Transmission was rebuilt, $1500 later I have all gears, upgraded servo and clutch packs, and a few MPG's I was missing.

Ended up being the band- was toasted. ended up riding on the reverse drum, and a lil wear with the clutch packs but the rest looked immaculate.

Wish I saw this sooner. You could have gotten a great tranny from FLT for that price. It would have been built and you give them your core.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Wish I saw this sooner. You could have gotten a great tranny from FLT for that price. It would have been built and you give them your core. Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Only vehicle I have, I dropped it off on my way out of down to go down to Brownsville/ Port Isabel area in TX for spring break, and picked it up when i got home. It's getting traded in next spring so no worries.

Archived