3 inch blocks.. what shocks?

I am ordering the RC 3 inch blocks for the rear of my truck. I have the RC 2 inch level kit and will be adding a cap/topper to the rear which will probably cause a slight sag. I want to get some rake back when unloaded and want the truck to sit level when loaded with the cap.

I am aware that there are companies that make shock extenders for the rear, but I would just assume get new shocks as I do a fair amount of off road travel.

I have work truck with heavy duty towing package so I am not sure what suspension set up I have from the factory. It is not Z71. I want a shock that is as stiff as factory, give comparable ride quality, just a 2 or so inches longer. Keep in mind, my truck is a short bed regular cab... so anything to stiff will make it ride like a cement truck.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff

I just read on a website that the 5150's are discontinued... any other options for 3 inch block in the back of a 2010 short box 4x4?

I ordered Bilstein 24-186957 to use with my rear 3 inch RC blocks. I got them for $71.00 off of ebay with fee shipping which was the cheapest I could find by $10-15.00.

Thanks

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am looking at doing the same thing with the 5100s and 3" block. I run alot of rough fire roads in the summer. is the 24-186957 long enough to run that rough with the 3" block?

On my 2010 1500 when I replace my rear shocks (sooner than later since the shocks' case are rusting out) I am going to replace them with the Bilstein 5100's 24-186957. The shocks are designed to work with an additional 1.5 inches of rear lift. With installed 3 inch rear blocks its an actual additional 1.75 inches of lift. Even though its only .25 inch, which isn't critical, but it will limit the amount of shock travel (especially when off road). For this I was also planning on also purchasing readylifts (sku 67-3809) rear shock extensions. The next size up that Bilstein makes for our trucks is made for a 4 inch lift which would be way too much (might act as a premature bump stop?).

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 3in RC block and went with the Rough country 9000's i think. I also have a ARE on the back. I maintains the stock rake look, just taller. RC was the only company at the time that had a shock for + 2.5 rear. Most just say stock or +4. I was going to go with the +4 just figuring not using full lengh vs max extension would have been better.

Archived