"01 8.1l Cam Sensor substitute?

mamachala

Question

My cam position sensor is failing,code P0342, and GM discontinued a replacement for it. There are no aftermarket ones available either. Do you know of a workable substitute? I have read of people using one for an '02, will that work? In case you need it , the last 8 of the VIN are 1F122827.

HELP!

Jack

This is all I've got left. I'd contact AC Delco and GM Customer Service at this point.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=12572656&_sacat=0&_from=R40

1-800-ACDelco (1-800-223-3526) - Forget calling them....they'll tell you to contact your local AC Delco supplier.

I found that other GM part number by googling your vehicle. I did a quick search, you might want to spend a little more time there....perhaps someone else has already figured out this mystery.

I did run across this as well. I wonder if yours ever had it done?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is directing the recall of 11,974 2001-model-year heavy duty pickups built by General Motors to fix faulty crankshaft position sensors, under NHTSA campaign ID number 07V521000.

Only Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 trucks with 8.1-liter Vortec V8 big block gasoline engines are impacted by the recall.

According to NHTSA's website, the crankshaft position sensor can operate intermittently or fail completely. If the sensor operates intermittently, the service engine light may illuminate and cause the vehicle to run rough or stall the engine. The engine can be restarted immediately or after a cool down period. If the sensor fails completely, the engine will not run.

GM dealers will replace the crankshaft positioning sensor free of charge when the recall begins in December.

2001 was the first model year for the 8.1-liter Vortec V8, replacing the 7.4-liter V8. The 8.1-liter shared its predecessor's valve and bore centers and diameter, but stroke was increased by 9.4-mm for larger displacement and more power. With 340-horsepower and 455 lb-ft. of torque at 3200-rpm, the 8.1-liter motor beat the power outputs of Ford's and Dodge's V10 engines (275hp and 300hp respectively) from the same period.

Thanks for the offer Jeepinkc, I just got a tracking number for a sensor coming from King GMC in Loveland , CO. hope it's the right one. Apparently they have a line on some of these so if you need one call them . If it's wrong I'll be in touch Jeepinkc.

King GMC-970-292-3452, talk to Ken

One last tidbit of info on the subject....I just read about a guy in another forum that bought a sensor for his 01 only to find out that it had the 02 version installed in his truck. His was a late year model production 01. You may want to go ahead and pull yours before you do anything. This is just ridiculous....

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/6-other-vehicles/9-gm-gassers/473127-8-1-cam-sensor-discontinued.html

I looked at an aftermarket sensor for an '02 and physically it looks the same, but I don't know about functionally. These take an analog voltage in and put out a digital signal so I don't know if the electronics inside are the same. They are not just a switch. Maybe a Tech could help.

Jack

Just for my own curiosity I called Wells Vehicle Electronics and Engine Management. And I just got off the phone with one of their Hot Line Tech Support Rep.. I asked him if they stocked the cam sensor for the 8.1 engine. He said no. And I asked him why. His answer was ask GM. I told him I know GM is not stocking them. He said GM is no longer making them. So I asked him if they still make them. He said we never made them. Everyone that they stocked and sold came from GM. And as far as he knew no after market company made them. All The stock came from GM. He said in order for Wells to make money from that part they would have to produce ar least a 100,000 pieces to make a profit. He also said GM figures there is only about 5000 to 6000 of these vehicles left on the road and they feel that it is not worth their while to produce any more. He said he knows its crazy but their hands are tied. So thats where we stand on that. Anyway I hope you find a dusty one sitting on a shelf some where.

Good Luck

Duelin

Damn....let me recheck it. Yep, let's do some more searching....

There's 1 listed on eBay right now....I'd get on it if I were you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-213-1063-Cam-Position-Sensor-/130885635496?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e79644da8&vxp=mtr

Also take a look at GM 12572656....several on eBay and cheaper. This number was uncovered here:

http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/need-help-finding-camshaft-sensor-for-8-1.135213/

Little more info for you:

http://www.oehq.com/oeparts_12572656.htm

Archived