I know this is a automotive site but I just want to see what you guys think.

On my xr 650r dirtbike it feels to me like the clutch is slipping. The RPMs go up but the bike doesn't seem to be pulling as hard as it should. I tried adjusting the clutch and adjusted it to the manuals specs which seemed to help a little but it still doesn't feel right and with it adjusted in spec the bike rolls in gear with the clutch in. When accelerating if feels like the gears are really close together and I'm thinking its probably the clutch plates what do you guys think?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's the new version of the 650 :thumbs: A friend has one and that thing is a rocket.Shouldn't be too hard to change,just be carefull when tightening the four bolts on the clutch pressure plate.When I do mine I lay the bike on it's side so I don't have to drain the oil....and I always soak the friction plates in oil for a while before I install them.I've done clutches on older bikes I would assume they'd be the same or similar on your 650.

Well I soaked em for about 2 hours and put them in, the bikes a whole new animal I didn't realize they were that bad! However my problem is now that the plates seem to stick together and I can't seem to get the clutch to disengage all the way

Try tightening the cable a little,but always leave a little play when the lever is fully released.The metal & fiber discs are new and should loosen up after a couple of rides.At least that's the case in my experience.Nothing like a new clutch after dealing with an old slipping one :thumbs:

Well I had to adjust it all the way to get any clutch action at all. But I'm going to look at it some more to, I was getting frustrated yesterday and had to take a break before I started breaking things.

Well I had to adjust it all the way to get any clutch action at all. But I'm going to look at it some more to, I was getting frustrated yesterday and had to take a break before I started breaking things.

I can certainly understand that...lol and good luck.Did you have the right number of metal & friction discs? and install them in the correct order? just askin'.

Well I found out there is a slightly smaller friction plate that goes on the judder set up. So I fixed that. But it didn't make a difference I'm still checking things out though and I started with a friction steel friction steel and so on. The is the same number in the new pack that was in the original one.

Ok so if I pull the clutch lever with the cover off it looks like it seperates the outer plates but not the inside ones I can spread them with a screw driver gently. Also to get any clutch action I had to adjust it all the way to get the clutch to engage at all other wise it was just a loose lever. And also now it chatters with the clutch all the way pulled in which can't be good.

Just to review the number & sequence of the discs & plates....the first one to go in is a friction plate,then a clutch disc(the metal ones),then another friction plate etc.So the first and last one is a friction plate and there are one more friction plates than clutch discs....is that what you have?

Don't know how many your 650 has but my XR600 has seven friction plates and six clutch discs.

Do you have a repair manual for this bike?All this should be in there.

Yep I went friction first. And it seems like I had 7 fractions and 6 metals. I double checked to make sure I hadn't lost any parts http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/8

And used this as a guideline.

http://www.xr650r.us/clutch/

But I didn't do the bearing or any of the other mods.

I'm starting to wonder if my clutch cable isn't stretched out to where it doesn't have enough pull to spread the plates. Because I have it adjusted to give the cable all the pull it can and its still not spreading them out all the way.

Archived