Yet another tire help request

VRSCA1

Well my 09 GMC sierra ext cab 1500 4x4 is due for tires,came with goodyear ats 265/70/r17.Going to install a R/C 2" leveling kit so I can go with bigger tire,from what I have read with the 2" leveling kit I should be able to go up to a 285/70/R17 with no rubbing or additional cutting on the factory 17" wheel correct?

Having a tough time deciding on tires always liked the look of the BFG AT KO,also looking at goodyear wrangler silent armors.But have also read here the TOYO A/T2 are getting rave reviews along with Coopers discoverer A/T3.

I'm looking for nice not overly aggressive look,quiet highway,comfortable ride minimal loss of current fuel economy.So I'm looking more for a P metric sized tire since I do not off-road or tow or haul heavy loads.Can anyone chime in with their thoughts on any of these tires based on ownership or working at a tire shop that sells these tires.

I'M a little closer to deciding then yesterday,I think i will go with the Coopers AT3's.Now I'm just working on getting the best price,also trying to decide on size and load range.285/70/R17 or 275/70/R17? I can get the 285's in 10ply load range E but it seems like overkill for my use worried about a stiff ride on a 1500 series truck.Also 285's available with no load rating assuming its a P rated tire? Or I can go slightly smaller 275/70/R17 load range C which be a little above my needs but o.k. Help me make up my mind lol!

I'M a little closer to deciding then yesterday,I think i will go with the Coopers AT3's.Now I'm just working on getting the best price,also trying to decide on size and load range.285/70/R17 or 275/70/R17? I can get the 285's in 10ply load range E but it seems like overkill for my use worried about a stiff ride on a 1500 series truck.Also 285's available with no load rating assuming its a P rated tire? Or I can go slightly smaller 275/70/R17 load range C which be a little above my needs but o.k. Help me make up my mind lol!

I'm in the same boat. I am running 265/65R18's and would like to go to a 285/65R18. The problem is I haven't been able to find a 285 P rated tire. Since I don't need the load rating, I don't want to go with a heavier/stiffer tire for no reason. If you find a P-rated 285 could you let me know? I'm leaning towards the 275's but I like the look of the 285 much better.

Check out the Kelly TSR....I just took off a set of Toyo Open country AT's as they just made 36,000 miles. Fairly soft tread compound.The BFG km2's where on my short list but I was thinking that they might wear pretty quick.

My buddy got 72k out of his last set of Kelly TSR's so I thought I'd give them a shot..If these don't hold up I'm going back to BFG TKO's..Best deal on the Kelly tires is on line..I was able to get my local Goodyear dealer to match what I found on line..Here's a picture of what they look like.. These are 285/70/17's on Worxs wheels..17x9..+25 offset with 6 inch back space..They stay tucked under the truck and don't rub anywhere..

post-94306-0-56813800-1381971455_thumb.jpg

Is there a any kind of lift or leveling on this truck that runs 285/70/R17,I stopped off at the tire store today and the sales guy I should be able to run 275/70/R17 with no leveling kit with no worries of rubbing and he seemed very confident about this contrary to all I have read here,he even stated the 285/70/R17 would not rub on my stock 17" wheel with no lift or leveling kit? So either he is full of it or everyone on this forum is Wrong....

Danny the cooper discovere at3 do show a 285/70/r17 tire in P check the cooper discoverer at3 website.

I'm in the same boat. I am running 265/65R18's and would like to go to a 285/65R18. The problem is I haven't been able to find a 285 P rated tire. Since I don't need the load rating, I don't want to go with a heavier/stiffer tire for no reason. If you find a P-rated 285 could you let me know? I'm leaning towards the 275's but I like the look of the 285 much better.

Scratch that did not notice you were looking for 18" and 65 series tire,The at3 shows only a LT load range E in that size and tire,check with a tire shop see if a P is available in that tire sometimes it is but its not listed.

There are a few tires that make that size in a C rated tire. I know the Cooper AT3's have a p rated tire at a 275/65... The Toyo AT2 has a C rated 275/65. There may be some others, but those are the ones I have looked at the most...

Well today was the day,had the stock tire size put back on the truck P265/70/R17,chose not to compromise my MPG or speedo reading or go with a 2" leveling kit since its my daily driver need all the MPG i can get.Chose the Cooper Discoverer AT3's based on what was read here.Came equipped with GY Wrangler AT's with OWL out.Looked nice I liked the way they looked,tires rode nice,but the traction in the snow and wet roads left alot to be desired,got almost 60k out of em,mostly freeway driving I could have pushed them thru maybe one more winter if the snowfall in MI is not too bad this year,but the wet traction was awful the last 2 years & this weekend with the rain we had saturday so it was time for them to go a.s.a.p. The truck is dark metallic blue with the 17" aluminum spoked wheels you see on many.

After surveying most trucks on the road all week,seems like many choose blacks out,very few with OWL facing out? So after reading here on the OWL topic,decided it was time for a change even though it killed me to flip to the Darkside blackwalls out.For some reason it just looks & says "cheap" to me and dont ask me why.So after having the tires mounted and balanced I drove off feeling like an idiot for having the blacks facing out even though the tire guy said blacks look better facing out on a dark colored truck yours.So I went and washed her up,cleaned the wheels up,put some tire shine/dressing on the new rubber and hey ya know what the darkside is starting to grow on me in a matter of a few hours now since the truck is cleaned up,maybe the tire guy was right!

So now for my first impressions of the new tire....For a P rated tire with 35psi in it, it rides a little stiffer then I thought it would,can feel every crack and bump in the road,I expected it to ride smoother the GY wrangler ats that I took off,but this must be a harder tire,so its going to take some getting used to,Now the wet traction is AWESOME! The tires never broke loose on wet pavment,it hooked up nicely and scooted down the road,The GY's I took off would spin 1-4 gears on the wet pavement under 1/2-3/4 throttle conditions LOL! So I anticipate the snow traction will be great.Also noted the truck seems to sit a bit higher in the front by 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch in the rear when measured,but this may be due to either this new tire being meater treadwise or the GY being so worn out? I cant say exactly.I just wish the new AT3's rode a little softer and it would be PERFECT.Oh yeah I took it out on the freeway to check the balance at 80-90MPH and the tire is nice and impressively quiet for the tread pattern.

Archived