Fan Clutch Noise

I have a 2006 2500HD duramax auto. In cold weather the fan makes a noise like the engine is racing but rpm's are normal. Could the fan clutch be bad. When engine warms up no noise? If I need a new one who has the best deal? Thanks for any help.

Steve

I don't know the Duramax fan clutch exactly, but if its a viscous coupling clutch like a typical fan clutch, the thicker fluid in the colder weather will cause the fan to engage when first started (moving more air, and making the sound you're describing) until the fluid warms up. My 2004 Dodge Cummins had an electric-over-viscous fan clutch, and it did the same thing when the weather turned cold. Its considered normal.

Is this a 'new to you' truck? or did it just start happening to a truck you've owned for a while? My 2005 has done this since new. I consider it normal. Even on sub zero days the fan will ROAR on cold starts for a few minutes then quite down to normal.

DEWFPO

Is this a 'new to you' truck? or did it just start happening to a truck you've owned for a while? My 2005 has done this since new. I consider it normal. Even on sub zero days the fan will ROAR on cold starts for a few minutes then quite down to normal.

DEWFPO

I bought the truck new and has always done it, as you say it only lasted about 1 mile or soo. thanks for input.

Archived