LOW OIL PRESSURE?!?

I got in the truck this morning and warning dinged telling me low oil pressure! WTF? I havnt drove yet, but I have to leave now. Even if I rev the engine the pressure doesn't go over 35-38. Actually it drops a little when I rev it. Please tell me its not the oil pump...This truck has a mechanical one right? If it is, can it be changed without dropping the pan? Oil level is ok, btw. Please help

Just read might me the oil pressure sending unit?

+1 TXAB

find a Lathe machine shop, ask them to turn (cut) a adaptor for your mechanical gauge and test it, then go from there,

looking at this post, its look like your gauge or its electronic circuit is not functiong

thank you all for the posts. I replaced the oil pressure sensor and it seems it was just giving me a faulty reading. Took me 3 auto parts stores and 2 parts to get it right, but I got it in and pressure looks good. :thumbs:

And for all those post where people say they cut their arms up and hands and crap...did you ever hear of gloves and long sleeves...it was tough spot to get to and there are lot of things in the way but it was nothing.

Gonna do an early oil change for good measure.

• 1 month later...

Ok , so I'm opening this back up...

I was out for 15 hrs plowing and the oil pressure guage was fluctuating down to 0 then back up only when at idle. the warning would chime when it was down but if I waited a few sec it went back up to normal and waved around there a bit. Also, when I took off and gave it some throttle it was ok. This didnt happen every time I stopped but every so often when i was at idle. I never heard any engine knock, or felt anything wrong with the engine or truck, no performance issues at all. Mind you this is the brand new one I just put in before the cold came. I'm thinking it is the guage on the dash maybe.

Archived