Acceleration test results for various pickup trucks

I've tested various vehicleson my friends property that use to be on old highway. Just in case the authorities see this.lol.

All test were from 0-60mph and then 0-98 mph.

Here s a list and results of vehicles tested.

2011 gmc Sierra crew cab 5.3 l............................ 9.3 sec .........23.5 sec

2012 dodge hemi crew cab 6sp tranny ...........................7.2 sec..........17.5sec

2013dodge hem crew cab 8 sp tranny............................7.9 sec..........18 sec

2013 Toyota tundra crew 5.7l..........................................7.4sec..........17.6 sec

2011 ford Eco boost crew cab 3.6l.................................. 7.1 sec...........17.4 sec

2012 gmc Denali crew cab 6.2 l...................................... 7.0 sec...........17.1 sec

And now for GMs new iron

2014 siera crew cab 5.3l 3.42 gears................................7.6sec............17.6 sec

2014 Sierra crew 5.3l with 3.08 gears( wife's)................ 8 sec...............18 sec( almost same as hemi with the 8 sp)

2014 sliverado double 6.6ft box 6.2 l with 3.42 gears......6.4 sec.............14.6 secs

Hope you enjoy.

WHy is the denali 5.2 crew cab so slow compared to the double cab? Also why would the dodge w/ the 8 speed and hemi be slower than the 6 speed? Shouldn't it be faster?

Weird. I'm very happy w/ the 5.3 - 3.42 numbers since thats what I have. In comparison to the competition w/ the more powerful engines seems like as usual GM underrated the Sierra 5.3 while other manufacturers overrate. Add headers/intake/tune to the Sierra 5.3 and it should equal or surpass a 6.2 - this is what I was looking for.

Not trying to compare the 6.2 to the 5.3, I like modding my vehicles and would rather spend $2,000 in mods to the 5.3 (roughly headers/intake/tune) than buying a stock 6.2 - Yes I know the 6.2 would be faster mod for mod, but I don't need anything more than the 5.3 and enjoy the modding process

All runs were done in 4 wd with traction control turned off as well as foot on the brake and some application of the throttle. The ecoboost was a dog unless you did a brake torque to net those numbers. I also noticed the the numbers were better on the 2014s when the traction control was off. They just launched like raped apes. To time these vehicles, I used a stop watch and did a review of videos ten times then just averaged them. As for videos I do have a substantial collection but for reasons eluded to in my original post I may just keep them as part of my personal collection. ;)

2014 sliverado double 6.6ft box 6.2 l with 3.42 gears......6.4 sec.............14.6 secs

Hope you enjoy.

This doesn't suprise me and coincides with the power I have been noticing from the 6.2L during take offs or rolling take offs when I feel the need for some horsepower and decide not to light foot it. You can be going 30mph and punch it enough (without downshifting) and it will break the rear tires lose and launch the truck like someone just hit you from behind. They did their job with the motor/power train.

Using a GPS/accelerometer device like the Performance Box would be more accurate, but the key in your comparisons is being able to gauge where the trucks fall in relation to each other - kind of like not worrying about how accurate a particular dyno is but rather comparing the results for trends

• 2 months later...

The 0-60 times are close but the 1/4 mile ones are off pretty bad, except the last one. There are sites such as Car and driver and 0 to 60 etc. So don't sweet it if you have the 5.3 I seen on one of those sites it ran 15 in the 1/4 mile.

Hope you enjoy.

Thats why my head snaps back when I gun it. The 2014 6.2L is a beast for sure. Too me, it was worth the extra 2 G's($1800 to be exact).

Not to disapprove anyone buying the 5.3L, ok just a little, but to get a true DYNO proven 65hp/77tq increase of power out of the 5.3L, it would take more then $1800 bucks; and if issues arise with the engine /power train it may not be too pleasing to deal with the warranty headaches.

I have been running a tank of E85 every couple of thousand miles just for the cleaning effect, but have noticed that the engine is not only significantly stronger but much smoother running as well - less clunking and rough shifts

Archived