2014 Sierra AT - Questions.

Took delivery on a leased 2014 Sierra (AT Iridium w/ 20" wheels), I just got out of an '07 Yukon and had an '02 Avalanche Z71 prior to that.

I always missed the Avalanche even though the Yukon was much 'nicer' in terms of package/luxury...but being 6'3" I never felt that comfortable in the Yukon and could never drive it the way I drove the Avalanche (that thing was FUN in the winter).

I've only got 200 miles on the Sierra, but absolutely love it. I'm totally comfortable even with the center console (was my biggest problem in the Yukon as far of comfort) and just feel 'right' in a pickup. We've gotten 15" of snow in the last day and getting more and I've had a bit of a chance to test the 4-wheel drive, its performing great and any trepidation I have is just from driving a bigger truck that I have for the last 5 years and getting to know how it handles. Once the lakes have enough ice to get out there, I'll really know how she handles snow/ice! I know they get poor reviews, but so far the Goodyears SRA's are performing well in this wet heavy snow - I was assuming I'd need some sandbags like my old '90 silverado did, but I'm thinking I may not now.

Anyways, a couple questions I have not found answers to (going back 20 pages in the forum)

Plastidip - Does this stuff really come of clean? How durable is it? I love the ultra bright 20"s on my truck, but I'm afraid of beating them and taking a hit when I turn the truck back in at the end of the lease, plus I think they'd look killer in black on the Iridium. Is it durable? Does it come off cleanly?

Has anyone used Plastidip as a bed-liner? Again, with the lease, I can't spray in a liner and don't want to take a hit at lease end - I'm thinking if plastidip is a good solution that even a mat on the bottom and plastidip on the bed walls would be a nice solution.

XM Weather - Love this feature even though the radar isn't perfect, BUT I hate that the forecast portion takes up 40% of the screen so that you have to zoom out to see the 'bigger picture' radar wise - plus that truck icon is as big as Minnesota when I zoom out to see the whole upper Mid-west. Any way to change all of that, or are we stuck the way it is?

The other thing is this... I understand that the AT package comes with the color matched bumpers & grille trim, I never saw mine until I went to pick it up and assumed this is how it would look - the grille trim is color matched, but it actually has chrome bumpers (w/ rear steps). I know its a newer built truck, but any thoughts on why this combo? I haven't seen another one like it in all the searching I did.

Thanks!

Plastidip comes off real easy, you just peel it off.

Depends on how you drive it, it'll last you solid 2 to 3 months then you'll have to redo it. My cousin does it on his wheels and it looks great, but the plastic can wear off a bit. Your wheels will look good as new when you peel it off. If you want to know how to do it, youtube.com has a ton of tutorials, and it's dirt cheap!

The Chrome bumpers on the AT is an extra option. The colored bumpers don't have the little steps in the back.

I wouldn't recommend using plastidip as a bedliner. It would probably take you 20 cans of rattle spray to do the whole thing evenly and then it would probably chip/peel.

Ask your dealer if they would allow for a spray in bed liner to be added without penalty. I've been thinking of doing the same on my leased truck. My lease is thru Ally, so I was also going to call them ask what they think.

In the end, its not really a modification, like a lift kit, supercharger, etc etc. It's more of a functionality addition, and doubt they would give you much hassle over it when turning the truck back in at the end of the lease.

Sounds like the plastidip wouldn't hold up that well and having to respray every couple months doesn't sounds like a chore I'd like to keep up with, especially in the winter...though if it comes off that clean, might be fun to play around with every now and then or when I know I might get into some stuff that could scratch it just for some added protection (hunting season)...

This is the first time I've leased (wanted a gap vehicle for 3 years, waiting to buy a used '15 or '16 Yukon, though after a couple days, I'm thinking going to a crew Sierra) and talked a bunch about things like bed liners with the sales guy and he seemed pretty implicit that you can't do a liner - though it doesn't make sense as its a solid improvement on the truck.

What he did tell me was - go ahead and use the unprotected bed without thinking about it too much...if it's really scratched up at return, drop in a $100 plastic liner and they'll never look under it. He assured me that's what he does and what others have done without problem...I don't like the idea. I'm at least going to through a mat in there.

On my 2014 AT iridium metallic it came with color matching bumpers and rear bumper has the step up in it still. Also a couple things u may want to consider when u r leasing , do u plan to purchase when ur lease is up, if so go ahead and put in a Linex bed liner, I had Linex in my 08 and am having it done in my new AT as well they ar great. 1 thing about Linex I like is if u give the a heads up the will color match the liner with your truck. Plastdip it's a great product if u are one that drives in heavy snow winters , that salt crap they spray down can eat at the seal of the ultra bright wheels over time they can peel, I only use it during the winter, I'm in Nebraska so from oct -mid march . The Goodyear SR-A 's is a tire gm should never have put on a truck with a ALL-TERRAIN badge, the SR-As r built for quilt smoot rides which is why they put them on, I have swapped mine out for the bridgestone dueler h/t. They are better truck tire and have more of the 4 wheel drive traction then theSR-A . I only say this with some experience from being a sales manager for Goodyear for 3 yrs, the SR-A is really a bad tire , same as the LS-2 they are cheap quite smooth ridding tires that make a great for OEM tire because as a OEM tire they done honor the mileage warranty and they don't have to cover any premature wear. So if ur at 15,000 and ur goodyears are worn out they don't have to cover them, not saying that most of the time in that case they generally do. But the process Goodyear makes people go thru to warranty and prorate tires it unreal. So be sure u rotate them every 3000 miles with every oil change not every other, that's the only way ull keep them lasting long.

Good luck sorry for ramblng on so long there. Just want people to know what garbage the Goodyear SR-A really is. It really important to keep that particular tire rotated and aligned otherwise it wears fast. Same goes for the LS-2.

I live in Northern Minnesota, in a city built on a hill - the amount of salt that gets put down is unbelievable, but necessary. The wheels on my Yukon were ate up, but also 7 years old. All of the plastidip video's I looked at showed someone spraying wheels that had been taken off the truck and tire removed, that seems like a hell of a lot of work every couple months - Can it be done by taping around the rim/caps and just doing it on the vehicle?

I got lifetime oil changes from the dealer and that includes checking alignment and rotating tires at every change...though, they changes are 'scheduled' for 5,000 miles.

I have thought about taking the tires off, buying a better set, and then putting the SRAs back on at lease end.

Right now, the only way I plan on buying out the truck is if the residual is lower than market, if that's the case I'll buy it and trade it on either a crew cab Sierra (mines a double and won't serve me well in 3 years) or a '15 or '16 used Yukon.

I just hate paying for tires to replace brand new tires.

What he did tell me was - go ahead and use the unprotected bed without thinking about it too much...if it's really scratched up at return, drop in a $100 plastic liner and they'll never look under it. He assured me that's what he does and what others have done without problem...I don't like the idea. I'm at least going to through a mat in there.

If he says that, I doubt they would look twice at a spray in bed liner as well.

Well, first step is getting the tonneau installed once it gets to the dealer (well, technically the first step is getting the 15" out of the bed, then getting the tonneau, then deciding if I should go ahead and spray or just throw in a mat and be gentle...not like I'm hauling dirt or gravel in this one...duck blood doesn't scratch paint.

If ur gonna have a bed cover, and u don't plan on hauling anything or tossing anything in like shovels & or sliding anything in the bed that could scratch the paint then forget about it, but I'd wash the wheels as much as u can during the winter to keep that salt corrosive crap from building up on the wheel. If ur not gonna plasitdip them find a good wax like nufinish and put a coat on the wheels , helps repel the snow & salt from building up.

Archived