Burning smell, white smoke

This is now 2017 so who knows if my problem is the same. I own a 2014 silverado LTZ. I've had Electrical problems for the past year to where the truck would shut off while I'm driving, lock the steering wheel and doors. Start it right back up and acted like nothing ever happened. That went on for about 6+ months and about 5 times. After I started getting a low oil light that would go off and on randomly. Weird considering I still had 60% life left on my dashboard and the dipstick was reading full. At that time I started noticing a burning smell when I would turn on my heat. It was the first time I turned my heat on all winter so I just thought it was nothing. Told the dealership anyways and they said they couldn't find anything wrong and didn't notice a burning smell so the truck was safe to drive. That happened about a month and half ago. NOW I was driving back from the beach with my wife and dog while I started get crazy movement in my battery voltage on my dash to the point that the truck entered battery saver mode. Drove for 4 more miles to be exact and the voltage popped back up to normal. At that moment we pulled into Dunkin Donuts to get coffee. Pulled up the the screen and noticed the burning smell again, but this time it was stronger. I shut off the heat which was at only 75 degrees. We pulled forward to the cashier and noticed white smoke coming out of my hood on the right side. I turned the ignition off. Told my wife to get out of the vehicle and told the cashier to grab a fire extinquisher. Went to open the hood and flames were coming from the right side of the engine near the engine block and air intake. Not just smoke, but actual fire. Put it out with the fire extinquisher and called the dealership to come get it.

• 2 years later...
23 minutes ago, Danny Julian said:

Had the same thing happen this morning. Ran it through a wash and drove 40 miles to work when i parked and shut it off I noticed steam coming from the right side of the grill, popped the hood and by then it dissipated.

Welcome to the site.

All 3 of my K2's have done that after washing them, especially when it is cool outside.

Seems like the water gets trapped in the nooks and crannies by the radiator, then turns to steam as the truck gets warm and escapes through the front of the grill.