Gear question

you're better off trading the truck and getting the one you really want. The cost is too high.. plus everything being computer ...god only knows what issues will pop up. Any warranty issue that is drivetrain related... forget about it once you change those gears....unless the dealer does it which will double the costs.

Go ahead and get 6.2, NAVI and all that other stuff while you're at it... I never heard of anyone complain about too many options. But ... many come post about the things they wish they would have got. These trucks costs a ton.. it would suck to shell out that much cash.. or have those payments on a truck you really don't love.

Add $40 per month and get it loaded..

you're better off trading the truck and getting the one you really want. The cost is too high.. plus everything being computer ...god only knows what issues will pop up. Any warranty issue that is drivetrain related... forget about it once you change those gears....unless the dealer does it which will double the costs.

Go ahead and get 6.2, NAVI and all that other stuff while you're at it... I never heard of anyone complain about too many options. But ... many come post about the things they wish they would have got. These trucks costs a ton.. it would suck to shell out that much cash.. or have those payments on a truck you really don't love.

Add $40 per month and get it loaded..

Were 4.10s an option?

I went to have my rears replaced and he said then I have to do the front ones too, and truth to that?

If you have a 4wd and plan on using it then you better do both front and rear or when you go into 4wd with just the rear changed and not the front you will have problems.

It requires both the ring and pinion. You should be able to find a gearset to match the carrier as well. Prolly be a 3 series if GM still uses different carriers based on ratio. Being the application is practically new, I wouldn't worry about bearings. Should be an easy swap for a good installer. But finding a good installer is key. If not properly setup, they will be noisy.

It has been awhile since I last did a rear gear swap but it was a 3.08 to 3.73 in an S-10 with the V6 Think I just replaced the ring and pinion - no carrier - but I do remember that the bearings are swedged on and impossible to remove - therefore you must replace them. Also I sought out the advise of both a Chevy and GMC dealership and got different answers and parts list from each. The Chevy guy wanted to order everything but the pumpkin - ring, pinion, carrier, and spiders. The GMC guy did more homework and found that only ring and pinion needed changing -along with the bearings. BTW I think I still have the 3.08 ring and pinion in my shed - that was from '83

Go trade trucks!! After you pay for gears then labor then a tune to recalibrate for gears you will prolly void warranty if not done at dealership and the dealerahipmwill rape you on price!! If you rgonna tune truck anyway then go to a transmission shop and they will probably be able to do the gear swap cheaper then you can get a tune from somewhere for speedo reasons but I say trade!! I personally wouldnt trade but I would if I couldnt do the stuff myself!!

Archived